Thread: Tahiti Temps

Silver Member

Tahiti Temps

I'm debating if I should remount the cooling solution of my 7970. I've always felt it ran on the warmer side, and the cooling solution has been removed and remounted but I believe I put down fresh thermal pads on the vram/vregs and I don't think i have any more of that, possibly able to reuse.

So before I crack her open for something I don't need to do I was wondering if anyone could share their temps.

On seti it will hit around 78c, and on milkyway (dp), and primegrid (dp) it'll hit 83c showing around 71-75% fan speed. (3150 rpms).

Silver Member

Re: Tahiti Temps

I opened a window and setup a "house fan" blowing in the direction of the 7970 and it's down to 79c after 3hrs straight on a GFN22 WU. It's currently about 69f in the room 55f outside.

Platinum Member

I'd say the those temps seem a bit high. Used to run a 7990 that got those temps so a 7970 should definitely be 5C+ lower. IIRC your computer will shut down if it hits 90C.

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    I'm debating if I should remount the cooling solution of my 7970. I've always felt it ran on the warmer side, and the cooling solution has been removed and remounted but I believe I put down fresh thermal pads on the vram/vregs and I don't think i have any more of that, possibly able to reuse.

So before I crack her open for something I don't need to do I was wondering if anyone could share their temps.

On seti it will hit around 78c, and on milkyway (dp), and primegrid (dp) it'll hit 83c showing around 71-75% fan speed. (3150 rpms).
    For several years I ran dual 7990's (5 machines) and a quad 7970 setup. (on air at first and then under water)

If your still running on fans those temps are quite normal although I would boost the fan speed to 90%. A stock tahiti's normal loaded TDP is 85 degrees celsius, it is what they are designed to run at. They will run at that temp forever. (or until the VRM's burn out)

If your running under water, they are definitely high. in this scenario they should be running right around 65 degrees.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Egilman View Post
    For several years I ran dual 7990's (5 machines) and a quad 7970 setup. (on air at first and then under water)

If your still running on fans those temps are quite normal although I would boost the fan speed to 90%. A stock tahiti's normal loaded TDP is 85 degrees celsius, it is what they are designed to run at. They will run at that temp forever. (or until the VRM's burn out)

If your running under water, they are definitely high. in this scenario they should be running right around 65 degrees.
    On air.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Silver Member

So I just noticed that in Radeon Settings and MSI Afterburner that the GPU core is set to 1050mhz, but currently shows at 1000mhz as current in Afterburner and Open Hardware Monitor. I presume this is the Application adjusting the clock, I'm pretty sure Moo!Wrapper did this. What I'm getting at is if it's downclocking does it still need the same core voltage?

In the past I've come across quite a few threads, blogs, how-tos of under-volting/flashing your GPU to optimize crypto-mining effeciencies. My understanding is that under typical gaming conditions the GPU load is spikey and having a higher, more stable voltage isn't a thermal issue as the load quickly drops to lower power consumption rates. But were crunching/folding/mining 24/7, would it behoove us to lower the core voltage if there's enough headroom to be stable? Would this reduce core temps which would reduce resistance which would reduce load ergo power consumed? I've never flashed a GPU and to be honest I feel like a wuss about it.

Edit: BTW My temps are more like 79c-80C at 1000mhz @ 1.213vdc, it's been running at 99% for 2.5 days i'd consider that stable temps and settings.

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    So I just noticed that in Radeon Settings and MSI Afterburner that the GPU core is set to 1050mhz, but currently shows at 1000mhz as current in Afterburner and Open Hardware Monitor. I presume this is the Application adjusting the clock, I'm pretty sure Moo!Wrapper did this. What I'm getting at is if it's downclocking does it still need the same core voltage?

In the past I've come across quite a few threads, blogs, how-tos of under-volting/flashing your GPU to optimize crypto-mining effeciencies. My understanding is that under typical gaming conditions the GPU load is spikey and having a higher, more stable voltage isn't a thermal issue as the load quickly drops to lower power consumption rates. But were crunching/folding/mining 24/7, would it behoove us to lower the core voltage if there's enough headroom to be stable? Would this reduce core temps which would reduce resistance which would reduce load ergo power consumed? I've never flashed a GPU and to be honest I feel like a wuss about it.

Edit: BTW My temps are more like 79c-80C at 1000mhz @ 1.213vdc, it's been running at 99% for 2.5 days i'd consider that stable temps and settings.
    When I set up my Tahitis, I do a straight driver only install. (don't need any of that other extraneous garbage they try to install along with the driver) And I've found that the best driver for them as crunchers is the 14.9 Catalyst drivers. Afterburner is 4.1 or 4.1.1. After all these are third level legacy cards. You need legacy drivers to properly run them.

Now how you set it up depends on the project and how well you know the running limitations of the cards.

7970's come in two basic flavors, the completely generic stock configuration that runs at 1.213 volts or the OC version that runs at 1.256 volts. the stock version is clocked at 1000 and the OC version is clocked at 1050.

Both of those clock setups are way below what the card is actually capable of and the power settings are way above what is actually needed to run them.
    I've run them at .95 volt and 900 clock. On the high side I've run them at 1180 clock at 1.2 volt, both stable as a rock.

If I was going to run one at 1000 clock, I would set the volts to 1.050. If I was going to run at 1050 clock I would set the volts at 1.100. I'm sure you can deduce the effect on running temps this method of running would have. (significantly lower) after you reach 1.100 volts the power/clock tuning becomes linear you can run at 1100 clock and 1.100 volts.

Most stable setup I've used and I've tried them all.

There is no need to run a tahiti over 1.200 volts. it is pointless, the card will shutdown as it's overpower protection kicks in. (on a 7990) Besides most Tahitis balk at running anymore than a 20% overclock. (1200 clock setting and they are a bit unstable at that)

For an example my Tahitis running Collatz were set up at 1180 clock, 1.180 volts and 1750 memory clock. (collatz loves lots of fast memory) they ran 24/7 for several years.

When they were running Moo for example of the other end of the spectrum, they were set to 1050 clock, 1.100 volts and 800 memory clock. Moo doesn't need much in the way of memory.

They were the top producing machines on the projects when I was running them like this. In fact if you look at my blackhawk1 (paired 7990's) it is consistently one of the top 3-4 machines on Milky way, pushing out over 2 million a day.it would do the same on Moo and push out 12.5 to 13 million a day on Collatz. All while staying under 85 degrees.

Yes undervolting reduces operating temps and makes the card more efficient.

Something else I would consider also.

Reducing your memory clocks for projects that do not need a lot of memory. The temp drop will surprise you, it sure did me....

Low end voltage spec on a Tahiti is .95 volts, they will not run below that voltage. also below 1.100 volts, keep your voltage .05 volts above what your running core clock is. Otherwise it will become unstable. Example:

Running at 1000 clock do not undervolt lower than 1.050 volts. (at 1.100 and above volts this doesn't matter anymore)

Running this way I'm turning 2 million a day in MW on four tahitis and my highest temps are under 70 degrees, most are under 65 degrees. (looking at it right now Chip #1 is at 61, #2 57, #3 69 and #4 64) my Core clocks are 1100 (10% overclock) and voltage is at 1180. The WU are running at 5x per core. But this is under water, I wouldn't run MW like this on air.

Undervolting works, especially if your on fans.

Gold Member

Agree with EG's take... try undervolting and crank up the fan speed. I don't run them much anymore, but when I had several Tahiti cards, I was often at 80C+ and never had any issues.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

I don't have my Tahitis any more but just before the Pentathlon I cleaned them all thoroughly, replied thermal compound and had to replace a fan or two. Made a big difference. With one Tahiti in a system with decent air flow I could run them at default clock speeds and temps would stay around 70 under highest loads. If I had 2 GPUs in the system I had to put small box fan on them to keep them around 70.