I'm pretty sure in the past I was getting SETI [Main Project] on my phone, and recently I noticed there were never tasks available. On a whim I added SETI [BETA] and have for the most part been able to sustain a tasks. I like running BOINC on the phone as it's, in my case, 3x hours (3 cores) of WU-prop hours for near negligable wattage. What's more is for the 12ish hours a day that I have more low power phone crunching it's not that bad of credit compared to how poorly SETi pays on a higher-end 250w GPU.

For anyone that hasn't run BOINC on their phone, i'd like to mention that my phone can't sustain 3 concurrent tasks without overtemping the battery... unless some active cooling is applied. My phone also gets rather warm while charging/discharging quickly as it is so I wanted to come up with a "charging station." What I came up with is a 92mm fan that fit inside a taller-than-wide "gladware" container. I drilled (melted) out some holes around the base below the bottom of the fan. I oriented the fan so it is blowing up and drawing air in from the holes below it. I cut the toes of a nylon and placed it over the bottom and covering the holes (dust filter?). I then notched the top lip on each side, but offset from opposite side, so air could easily flow under and out of the phone when it was laid across the top.

The "unit" sits on top or on the side of my daily driver desktop here. I run a molex extension to out a gap in the bottom of the PC case and plug it in. However, I plug my phone into the wall because it will support higher current draw than the USB ports on the PC. I'd also like to mention that I put a relatively large steel washer in the bottom to help stablize the poor center of gravity it had. I really don't have anything specific at this moment to back this up but I'm a big believer in that high heat cycles will greatly reduce the lifespan of a lithium-ion battery. Crunching or not I don't like picking up my phone and thinking "that's pretty damn warm for 10watts.

I didn't know where to put this, the Hardware Subforum??