Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barebone Kit

Ricky Moore

Barebone Kit

I work at a trash site where people bring in trash to get rid of and sometimes they throw things out because they buy something better or just don't want it anymore.

Last Friday someone came in with a Computer and was about to throw it into the Compactor to be crushed when I asked if I could have it. I normally just take them apart and use the screws and things.

I opened it up and started chasing dust bunnies and got to looking at it and here is some info about it:

MB = MS-7173 VER 1A RC410M
    4 SATA slots
    2 IDE slots
    1 FDD slot
    2 PCI slots
    1 PCIe X16 slot
    1 Video slot (black)

MEM = 2GB
    PSU = 400 watts

1 FDD
    1 DVD/CD RW
    Card Reader = Ultra XC-28U

There is a speaker wire unpluged but I can't find on the MB where it plugs in at.

It also looks like they used a RGB Monitor because that is the only thing attached to the MB going to the top Slot in the back. The MB does have a standard Video Out on the back.

I would need to install a HDD and OS to see what this thing can do if you guys think this is worth it. I have no clue as to the CPU installed I have not removed the CPU Fan.
    Speaking of fans there are 3 of them 1 pulling in air from the front and 1 pushing the air out the back. The CPU fan has a tube over it that make the air from it go out the side of the case.

Info from the case:

Barebones MB RC410M-L
    7173BB-010

So is this thing worth keeping to run BOINC? I have a copy of XP Home that was in the old TigerDirect system that I could install in it if it will run in it.

Silver Member

Re: Barebone Kit

I would say go for it. Considering the motherboard has a PCI-e slot, that is one more spot you can put a video card w/out having to go out and buy a whole new setup.

It looks like the board is limited to the 2GB of RAM.

You may want to eventually upgrade the PSU depending on the size of the video card you add but all in all a good find IMHO.

Ricky Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob's Son View Post
    I would say go for it. Considering the motherboard has a PCI-e slot, that is one more spot you can put a video card w/out having to go out and buy a whole new setup.

It looks like the board is limited to the 2GB of RAM.

You may want to eventually upgrade the PSU depending on the size of the video card you add but all in all a good find IMHO.
    What I was thinking of is to just get it running and if it is any good it can replace my two Single core Laptop that are on their last leg. There is a good chance that the CPU in there is a duel CPU. However from what I have read XP Home does not support a duel CPU so I would have to get a copy of XP Pro from somewhere.

Steve Bohlen

What about linux? I have 2 linux machines crunching right now that were destined for the trash. Playing with linux may help you make a decision about this project without investing any money.

Gopher_FreeDC

Hmm yeah Linux for sure, XP home doesn't support dual too well..

JerWA

Here's the product page for the motherboard:

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...=1&prod_no=228

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bohlen View Post
    What about linux? I have 2 linux machines crunching right now that were destined for the trash. Playing with linux may help you make a decision about this project without investing any money.
    Also Linux is not nearly the memory resource hog XP is which will help with any BOINC project that uses lots of memory (If that project supports Linux of course).

Ubuntu 10.04 x64 would be good for a novice Linux user. Gentoo will run better but it needs to be compiled from source code. Meaning you have to "Roll Your Own" Gentoo. Haven't tried it myself, yet.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I could mail you a copy of XP Pro & a legit key that I don't use anymore. Just a thought. Might play around with an Ubuntu install though, really a nice OS and can't go wrong there. It'll probably crunch faster on the Linux OS if the source code is compiled properly on the project end.
    So all you need is a HDD? I'm sure we could find you a used one somewhere on the team here or we can all pitch in a little if needed and you could get one. I say: "Go for it!"

Go team! I love it when a plan comes together. I remember you saying the lappy was on its way out...this would be a good replacement, and someday a GPU in there, and it will get way more points/day than the two lappies could ever dream of!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I could mail you a copy of XP Pro & a legit key that I don't use anymore. Just a thought. Might play around with an Ubuntu install though, really a nice OS and can't go wrong there. It'll probably crunch faster on the Linux OS if the source code is compiled properly on the project end.
    So all you need is a HDD? I'm sure we could find you a used one somewhere on the team here or we can all pitch in a little if needed and you could get one. I say: "Go for it!"

Go team! I love it when a plan comes together. I remember you saying the lappy was on its way out...this would be a good replacement, and someday a GPU in there, and it will get way more points/day than the two lappies could ever dream of!
    No need to snail mail it. I could fire up my FTP server and he could download it and burn it to disk or use WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta 7 / 0.2.3 (DL from here or here) and install from a thumb drive.

Then all you have to do is email him the Key.

My UP/Down Speeds

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

If need be, I'm sure I have an extra 20 or 40 GB HD laying around here. I have a stack of 15 by my feet right now, just not sure of their worth. Will need to evaluate 1 of them. Let me know.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast