Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barebone Kit

JerWA

Re: Barebone Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Rearm? Never saw that one. Cool!!!

The family pack is a really good way to save money but it has an undisclosed limited time of availability. So if your gonna go that route act soon as M$ will pull it without notice.
    The funny thing is they canceled the family packs already once, but so many people yelled that they brought it back a few months later. Makes for a good deal for sure.

I've told lots of people, but if you run Windows you might as well just pony up for Win 7. It's the next XP, you'll be running it for 10 years, so just get it over with.

Ricky Moore

OK, I can do the downloads tomorrow when I go to the library to use their hi-speed. Never done anything like this so I may need some help!

I think I have about a 40 GB HDD that has 98se on it.... I would have to reformat it.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Moore View Post
    OK, I can do the downloads tomorrow when I go to the library to use their hi-speed. Never done anything like this so I may need some help!

I think I have about a 40 GB HDD that has 98se on it.... I would have to reformat it.
    I just hope the library allows for 3.5 GigaByte Downloads because thats how large the image of Win7 is.

40 GB HDD is a decent size. If you are talking about installing Win7 then yes you will have to reformat it. Win98 used FAT32 for the HDD file system and Win7 uses the latest version of NTFS. You can just let the Win7 installer do it for you.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

&^*&%$$^_^%$##%^())%%^#%#^$@

Bad news. My desktop has been in need of a reinstall for some time now and last night it fragged itself while I was trying to figure out a workaround for Comcast's block of incoming FTP connections. So I'll be offline the rest of the weekend.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Ricky Moore

Well as it turned out I was not able to go to the Libary due to the weather and by the time the weather cleared up they had closed.

Whenever I re-install Windows i go there to do all the updates and there are some BIG files, so far not had any trouble.

That MB can run 98se and Windows ME but not using the SATA Drives... only the IDE connectors. 98/ME can use SATA drives as DATA drives only!

I am hoping to do it the other way around and use the IDE Drives for storage!

I am wondering what project that system can handle if I gave BOINC the a whole drive for it's own use?

Past Administrator

Could you please just let me know how to get you XP Pro? Please don't resort to running 98 these days...it is truly outdated, and there is no reason when I can give a real key - I probably even have 3 - that I paid good money for, and no longer use. We are a team afterall, and a team is about helping each other reach maximum efficiency and fun!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Could you please just let me know how to get you XP Pro? Please don't resort to running 98 these days...it is truly outdated, and there is no reason when I can give a real key - I probably even have 3 - that I paid good money for, and no longer use. We are a team afterall, and a team is about helping each other reach maximum efficiency and fun!

AMEN!! Wish the world were full of people like you..!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Ricky Moore

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    No not thinking of running 98se. I was just saying what the MB could run and how. I have to say that I never had to much trouble with 98SE. However ME was another ball game I soon removed it and put 98se in it's place!

As far as XP Pro if you wish to send it here is the address:

The only thing this system will be used for is running BOINC that is why I had plan on getting a 2nd HDD just for BOINC to use.

I have even thought of putting in the old case from TigerDirect.com but that is one of those "full" towers and this MB would not need all those slots.

Since this system has only 2 PCI slots I will need to install a modem in one of them.

I just hope everything works! I have not plugged it in yet!
    Last edited by Ricky Moore; 04-20-11 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling Error!

Past Administrator

OK, thanks for the reply, Ricky. Just checking back in on the thread here. I will ship a copy of the XP Pro CD and my (now unused) key to you at that address.
    EDIT: I see that you normally go to the library for your "big" files to download. I will download the XP Service pack stand alone files and put them on another CD for you as well. This will save some serious library time.

I hope it all runs too! More points for you = more points for my favorite team!
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-12-11 at 11:37 AM.

Ricky Moore

Got a Case in this past Thursday with a 13.6 GB HDD! Wonder what that would be good for?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast