Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Moore View Post
UPDATE!!

Got the Disc for XP Pro, Thanks.... Just not had time to work on it. I am hoping to get it up and running before the end of the PG Race to see how it does. May not get all the updates installed but as long as I get BOINC installed the other can download while BOINC is running and still be able to upload.

During the time that Windows is updating should I set BOINC to use just 1 core???
You are better off NOT doing any Windows updates until after the challenge or shut down BOINC until you finish all the updates. Quite a few of the updates require a reboot. And there are some that be corrupted if you are running CPU intensive apps.

Windows Update note:
Since the MS update site does not do a good job of installing all its updates in chronological order you can run into problems on a fresh install of XP. This has happened to me a number of times.

So whats the fix?? The very first update you should get is the "Windows Installer version 4.5". This is the Windows utility that the OS uses to install any software and many of the Windows updates require this version. You can DL from MS DL Center here.

Version Listing

Windows XP Professional/Windows Server 2003 - 64 bit: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe

Windows XP Professional/Windows Server 2003 - 32 bit: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x86.exe

Windows XP Home Edition - 32 bit: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe