Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threadripper 2

Platinum Member

Threadripper 2

Just announced. Compatible with current TR boards. They doubled core/thread count to 32c/64t. Available in Q3. Price is rumored at $1500

Administrator

Re: Threadripper 2

Be interesting to see the comparison to the new 56t Intel that runs at 5GHz.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Be interesting to see the comparison to the new 56t Intel that runs at 5GHz.
    Yeah but here's the truth to that fake 5GHz: they use a 1 horsepower, 1152 watt chiller to supply the CPU with 4C water to achieve that speed. Almost certain base clock on Intel's 28c is actually 2.7GHz

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Yeah but here's the truth to that fake 5GHz: they use a 1 horsepower, 1152 watt chiller to supply the CPU with 4C water to achieve that speed. Almost certain base clock on Intel's 28c is actually 2.7GHz
    Yep, but it runs AVX2 & 512 much better.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Yep, but it runs AVX2 & 512 much better.
    Yeah that's definitely true. Don't be shocked if it's $3000+ since they're made from $10k Xeons

StyM

so it's time to dump these dual sockets ?
    so ryzen 3 next year is 48 cores ?
    oh these core wars.

Administrator

IF R3 has 96 threads it will interesting to see if that forces Windows to start supporting more than 64 memory channels. Since there will only be a single NUMA node you won't be able to assign a BOINC instance to 2 different CPUs and run more than 64 threads. If not then it will just be a damn fine Linux machine.

Diamond Member

So Threadripper 2 is really just the same as the first gen, but with more of the building blocks on the same chip which results in more cores/threads. TR2 is not really a new architecture with any changes to the AVX situation. Do I have that right?

As for single socket vs multiple socket machines, if I were ever going to build new again, I would absolutely avoid the headache and cost of multiple CPUs. And you can't OC them either, if that is your thing.

But lately, I just can't justify new builds. You can get used dual CPU, 36 thread machines on eBay for ~$700. And that includes everything, except a GPU that crunches. No way to justify a new build that would cost ~$2500. Sure the newer CPU would do AVX better, and be a bit faster. But for that price, you could buy four of those used servers with 128 threads total.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    So Threadripper 2 is really just the same as the first gen, but with more of the building blocks on the same chip which results in more cores/threads. TR2 is not really a new architecture with any changes to the AVX situation. Do I have that right?
    Yep that's right. Not a new uArch, just a tweaked design. Expect 10% faster per core just like the newer Ryzens.

BTW You're right about the used systems being a better value, but just to throw it out there: the next EPYCs will be 64c/128t but they're a ways off yet

Platinum Member

Testing today showed TR2 can run at 4.2GHz on all 64 threads using nothing more than an AIO liquid cooler. Seems to be called the 2990X. There's also a 2970X which is 24c/48t.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast