Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zen 2

Platinum Member

Re: Zen 2

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Nice! At what point is an i7 3930K going to be bottlenecking my GPU? Just looking for a reason here...
    If you're just looking for a reason, it's been bottlenecking it for years Even a GT 430 on an old PCI bus needs at least 16 cores to operate properly

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    If you're just looking for a reason, it's been bottlenecking it for years Even a GT 430 on an old PCI bus needs at least 16 cores to operate properly
    What's the point in terms of energy efficiency to run an application with a GPU which needs 16 cores to operate at its full load. Are the 16 cpu cores also at full load whilst GPU at 100%?

Past Administrator

@Pinhodecarlos - JPM is just pulling my leg. ;-)

@JPM - seriously, though - in a demanding GPU situation, such as X-Plane 11 with all settings maxed or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on max settings in 2K or 4K ... at what point am I limiting myself by this ASUS P9X79 Pro mobo and i7 3930K setup? Or are we still GPU bound?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @Pinhodecarlos - JPM is just pulling my leg. ;-)

@JPM - seriously, though - in a demanding GPU situation, such as X-Plane 11 with all settings maxed or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on max settings in 2K or 4K ... at what point am I limiting myself by this ASUS P9X79 Pro mobo and i7 3930K setup? Or are we still GPU bound?
    The best way to test if your GPU is holding you back is to play a game at 720p. CPUs are more responsible for FPS so lowering the resolution isolates it. If you get a big jump in FPS @ 720p vs. regular res then your GPU is the bottleneck. If FPS stays about the same, the CPU is the bottleneck. Make sure you turn off any form of frame pacing for the test (vsync, gsync, freesync, etc.)

Administrator

I don't know about gaming but I have 2 GTX 1080Ti that are setup identically. The I7-3930K @3.8G and PCIe 2 outperforms the one running at 2.8G and PCIe 3 so CPU clock/ram speed are more important for crunching. It may be that identical CPUs would show a benefit with later PCIe versions but I don't think PCIe bandwidth is a limiting factor for crunching.

Past Administrator

OK, thanks guys. I'll try that and see what I get.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123