Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The significant other

The significant other

I thought it was time to push a couple projects over the billion mark. Then my wife saw the electric bill for the last 2 months. Even in 100 degree heat the air conditioning kept up but $1050 for a 2 month total had her asking me about the status of our marriage. So ya, cards are shut down. At least until it gets cold. Even with everything up I was surprised to see that I was around 12% for the team. I should have been around 1%. Are VC's out of style now? The landscape does look different but I am seeing the old guard still here. Hope everyone is doing well. For myself and Shiva the big 19 is coming up in November. Never would have seen that coming. Anyway I wish everyone the best, Patrick.

Gold Member

Re: The significant other

Your wife is right, family comes first. Since I moved to live with my wife I now run only a laptop and although I understand we have money to invest in a more powerful machine, having a kid is a priority so we need to save for childcare, etc. My wife is the one who wears the trousers....

Also if you want to support any project forget about what we do here, donate money to charity and research groups. What we do is a hobby and a waste of energy (I'm an energy consultant). Don't come up with that crap that you need to have a bunch of computers to heat your house when electricity is not the most efficient way to do so. (example)

Well thanks for the advice. It's tough being the newbie, always looking for input.

Platinum Member

Being a hot summer, i'm pretty much on idle until the weather cools down. Glad to see you posting again

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clank [MM] View Post
    I thought it was time to push a couple projects over the billion mark. Then my wife saw the electric bill for the last 2 months. Even in 100 degree heat the air conditioning kept up but $1050 for a 2 month total had her asking me about the status of our marriage. So ya, cards are shut down. At least until it gets cold. Even with everything up I was surprised to see that I was around 12% for the team. I should have been around 1%. Are VC's out of style now? The landscape does look different but I am seeing the old guard still here. Hope everyone is doing well. For myself and Shiva the big 19 is coming up in November. Never would have seen that coming. Anyway I wish everyone the best, Patrick.
    Got me an energy efficient central air. costs 8k to get, but after a year, my a/c bill has gone for $450 to $176, so it pays for itself in the long run. So Im going to realize the savings in 2.5 years... (If my mathmetics is right)

Gold Member

Well thanks for the advice. It's tough being the newbie, always looking for input.
    ha ha newbie, a newbie that has been around sense 1999.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Gold Member

That definitely falls under RL. I'd give them the summer off. Question: What portion would you estimate of that electric bill is BOINC and BOINC related cooling?
    Summer is definitely a good time for hibernation.

Vic

Gold Member

my wife always complained that the puters were the cause of our high elect bill. this summer i have shut off the hot tub, and two pumps that were pumping 3,000 gallons an hour each in our fish pond. haven't heard a word about the electric bill all summer. guess some things take more than the puters.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Usually ran around $150 non Boinc per month. Was running a dozen 770's. Older cards that are heavy on juice. I'll start Ebaying them soon. Move to 1070's used, twice the output at 60% electrical. Cost is fair, compared to cutting edge. It is a winter thing though, take the AC out of the mix.

Platinum Member

Usually ran around $150 non Boinc per month. Was running a dozen 770's. Older cards that are heavy on juice. I'll start Ebaying them soon. Move to 1070's used, twice the output at 60% electrical. Cost is fair, compared to cutting edge. It is a winter thing though, take the AC out of the mix.
    New Nvidia GPUs launching this month and next month. Sell now before price drops then buy last gen for even cheaper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast