Thread: Suggestion on inexpensive gaming card

Advisor - Stateside Division

Suggestion on inexpensive gaming card

All, my son, like most 15 year olds plays Fortnite on the Xbox One but has recently been asking if he can have a PC to play it on.

I have an i5 system he can use that would suffice but as I don't really game, I don't have a decent graphics card.

I don't really want to spend too much so what would you suggest? Perhaps in the $200 range ??

Platinum Member

Re: Suggestion on inexpensive gaming card

I built a low-end PC for the secretary at work a few months ago. When she's not there, the owner's son plays fortnite on it. The GPU is an old GT 640 and seems to do fine at 1080p. So anything as good or better than that should serve the purpose

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

You can get a 4GB GTX 1050 Ti for less than $200

hmm, additional question. I actually have a spare Dell T7500 that I'm not using. It was a dual hexcore, but after I tried upgrading the memory on the second CPU riser that cpu would always fail. Still it works with the single CPU.

All I'd need is a new graphics card to replace the quadro in there and then a windows 10 install. I can't get to it at the moment, but do you all know whether it can take a 1050Ti, not sure of the power connections available on those?

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Most GTX 1050 Ti's only draw 75 watts from the PCIe slot and require no external power connector. A few draw up to 120 watts and require a 6 pin PCIe power connector. A T7500 has a 1100 watt PSU so that's plenty. The T5500s have a spare 6 pin PCIe power cable so I assume the T7500 will also, though sometimes those 6 pin power cables are a little short and could possibly require a 6 pin PCIe extension cable.

Is the memory on riser the same type as the memory on the main board? All the same size DIMMS (all 4GB or 8GB?), all either ECC or non-ECC, all same speed?

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Most GTX 1050 Ti's only draw 75 watts from the PCIe slot and require no external power connector. A few draw up to 120 watts and require a 6 pin PCIe power connector. A T7500 has a 1100 watt PSU so that's plenty. The T5500s have a spare 6 pin PCIe power cable so I assume the T7500 will also, though sometimes those 6 pin power cables are a little short and could possibly require a 6 pin PCIe extension cable.

Is the memory on riser the same type as the memory on the main board? All the same size DIMMS (all 4GB or 8GB?), all either ECC or non-ECC, all same speed?
    Thanks, looks like I'll be good and will pick up one today.

On the memory, yes, all identical. To be honest, it was working fine. I pulled the riser out, cleaned it a bit, then plugged it back in and it failed. Tried many times but could not get it to work again with it in. Maybe I'll try again today if I get some time, but my son doesn't really need the extra cpu anyway.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Thanks, looks like I'll be good and will pick up one today.

On the memory, yes, all identical. To be honest, it was working fine. I pulled the riser out, cleaned it a bit, then plugged it back in and it failed. Tried many times but could not get it to work again with it in. Maybe I'll try again today if I get some time, but my son doesn't really need the extra cpu anyway.
    I had the same thing happen and the only fix was a replacement riser. Looking at the back of the old riser card I could see the traces were corroded around every capacitor. I don't know if that was the problem, but I never found anything else.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member

If you can wait, new GPUs are launching in the next 6 weeks. Should lower the price of everything