Thread: Hard Drive or GPU

Gold Member

Hard Drive or GPU

I just swapped out an ancient nvidia card for a more recent but still old one. It's one of the latest cards to drop off of being supported with the software updates.

Anyways, to put the double wide into the slot, I had to move the SATA line going to the hard drive. It's not on SATA1 now. It's on SATA5.

I'm currently crunching with the card I installed, but if I try to do software updates to the computer, at the beginning of the update, it will reboot.

So, I'm wondering, are my reboot problems possibly caused by the card, or do I need to rework my HD connection? Maybe it's the power supply output I chose for the 2nd input.

Crunching isn't causing a reboot, so I'm scepticle of my problems being due to the GPU.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Re: Hard Drive or GPU

Shouldn't be the SATA slot but there could possibly be an issue if the one you used was meant for RAID setups. Some older boards have slots dedicated to that and they're usually a different color than the others.

Platinum Member

Software updates sounds Linux to me. Is it a Linux machine then?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Software updates sounds Linux to me. Is it a Linux machine then?
    It's Gentoo Linux. Everything gets compiled in a temp folder on the root partition (/var/tmp/portage). The restart happens after uncompressing the package source on the temp drive. I did manage to upgrade the nvidia driver after about 4 attempts.

I'm leaning towards it being the way I have the PSU connected. Before my next update attempt, I'll move the hard drive PSU connection and the SATA connection.

EDIT: I've mounted the temp folder to ram at the moment, but you can only do so much with 4G. I'm currently installing a partition program to see if I can create a cleaner partition for the temp folder.
    Last edited by trigggl; 10-26-18 at 10:32 AM.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

I've always found the when I have linux problems it faster to reinstall then try to fix things, but my linux for dummies book requires a linux for dummies book of its own.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk