Thread: New build for crunching: opinions?

Diamond Member

New build for crunching: opinions?

• I already have a 1080 Ti that will go in this. I will not be putting any HDD brackets in the chassis, so there will be plenty of room for the card length.
    • What do you think of the chassis? There is a neat diagram on the Newegg page showing all the possible cooler mounting locations. My plan is to mount the CPU radiator in the front panel (which has two fans). Or would the top be better?. I think the chassis comes with one fan in the rear. Do you think I will need any more fans? I plan on a mild over-clock.
    • I am buying Win10 Pro, even though it has only 1 CPU, just in case I want to move it to a dual CPU machine in the future.
    • I double checked the prices at Newegg vs Amazon. All were just about equal, with a couple being significantly cheaper at Newegg due to current sales.

Wishlist on Newegg

Thoughts?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Re: New build for crunching: opinions?

Good looking setup. Curious do GPUs benefit from liquid cooling in this setup?

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by cineon_lut View Post
    Good looking setup. Curious do GPUs benefit from liquid cooling in this setup?
    The liquid cooling I am using is a closed system for the CPU, only. So the GPU inside the CPU will get the extra cooling. Not sure if that can be over-clocked though. Never tried. But the external GPU (1080 Ti) is separate from all that. Cooled normally.

Administrator

I normally put the AIO on the top. Then on the front panel I mount 2 fans. The fans in that configuration blow directly on the GPU and across the MB. I don't know if that is the best way but I've been doing it for the 6 years I've run the H100 coolers.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I normally put the AIO on the top. Then on the front panel I mount 2 fans. The fans in that configuration blow directly on the GPU and across the MB. I don't know if that is the best way but I've been doing it for the 6 years I've run the H100 coolers.
    That is the way I have been doing it too. But I thought maybe trying it the other way. Advantage is the CPU radiator is getting cooler air. Disadvantage is the GPU is getting warmer air. But since I am not planning to OC the GPU, maybe that is okay?

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

This wasn't on your wish list. Just something to think about for future builds...Koolance EX2-1055 Computer Liquid Cooling System

Or if you want to go Mac DaddyEXC-800 Portable 800W Recirculating Liquid Chiller

Ok, Ok. Back to reality. If noise doesn't bother you, you could put the 2 fans in the front pulling cool air in, AIO on top pulling cool air down/in from the top and put a 100 CFM fan on back pulling hot air out. Can't say I've tried it. Just thinking.

Silver Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GTZ4BY07&psc=1

Problem solved ... lol. My 2990WXs are living on that "case" lol

Advantage: Open air .. can stack up ... can add up to 6 gpus.
    Disadvantage: Burn the whole system if you choke on beer lmao

Diamond Member

I finally pulled the trigger. Here is the final config. It has 20 threads, so I am below my normal 2gb/thread goal. But I couldn't justify spending the extra cash to go from 32gb to 64gb. At least for now.