Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: NFS@Home: Updates

  1. #11
    Platinum Member
    John P. Myers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2011
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    4,388

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    Personally i like projects that have high RAM requirements and i hate when projects water down an app to make it more accessible. It takes the fun out of it because it removes the knowledge that we're chasing an elite badge instead of just another common one. I'm aware that dumbing down RAM requirements allows for more participation, but it also hurts the project because now the app doesn't do what it needs to. So if you need 2GB/thread for your app to run optimally, then require it and give it it's own badge. I'll be excited to run something like that.


  2. #12
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    August 16th, 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Personally i like projects that have high RAM requirements and i hate when projects water down an app to make it more accessible. It takes the fun out of it because it removes the knowledge that we're chasing an elite badge instead of just another common one. I'm aware that dumbing down RAM requirements allows for more participation, but it also hurts the project because now the app doesn't do what it needs to. So if you need 2GB/thread for your app to run optimally, then require it and give it it's own badge. I'll be excited to run something like that.
    As a matter of fact since beginning this projects tweaks down some parameters of the client to get memory down to 1GB/thread to please everybody. When we started more than 10 years ago people even hadn’t 2GB/thread.

  3. #13
    Diamond Member
    zombie67's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    6,374

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    I can't remember... Does the app use AVX, AVX2, or AVX-512? If not, any chance to add that with the new app?
    The state or, to make matters more concrete, the government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they cant get, and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time it is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advanced auction on stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken

    Avatar source
    Twitter: @zombie_67


  4. #14
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    August 16th, 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    After all this job will be run on the current app since the parameters were wrong in the beginning.

    All applications don’t use avx, etc and no foreseen to be added since it’s very hard to play around the code, at least we can’t find anyone skilled enough to do it.

  5. #15

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    After we process the current 2.8M wus we will add a difficult job to process which will require at least 2GB/thread. Ive requested admin to add some feedback on the news, also I mention to consider an increase of the wu credit, currently set at 130, since for this job we will be needing dedicated cruncher. Were forecasting at current pace 3-4 months for this job. Will keep you all updated on the credit thing, can be an opportunity to reach goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    After all this job will be run on the current app since the parameters were wrong in the beginning.

    All applications dont use avx, etc and no foreseen to be added since its very hard to play around the code, at least we cant find anyone skilled enough to do it.
    Hi Carlos,

    There are currently 3.2M in the queue according to the server status, I guess they will take a while to clear.

    If you are going to introduce new work units that need up to 2Gb each can you (Gregg) please let us know with at least a week's notice if not more please. Some of my machines will not be able to run the new work units without reducing the amount that run concurrently and I need the notice to get it done it time.

    Thanks

  6. #16
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    August 16th, 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Username is valid View Post
    Hi Carlos,

    There are currently 3.2M in the queue according to the server status, I guess they will take a while to clear.

    If you are going to introduce new work units that need up to 2Gb each can you (Gregg) please let us know with at least a week's notice if not more please. Some of my machines will not be able to run the new work units without reducing the amount that run concurrently and I need the notice to get it done it time.

    Thanks
    The 3.2M wus already includes the new job which will be run on the same application, as previously stated on my last message, no need for 2GB/thread, only 1GB/thread. Thank you all.

  7. #17
    Diamond Member
    zombie67's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    6,374

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    I just added 72 threads to NFS. I have about 11M to go, to get my 50M MM.
    The state or, to make matters more concrete, the government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they cant get, and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time it is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advanced auction on stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken

    Avatar source
    Twitter: @zombie_67


  8. #18
    Diamond Member
    zombie67's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    6,374

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    I just added another 160 threads.
    The state or, to make matters more concrete, the government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they cant get, and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time it is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advanced auction on stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken

    Avatar source
    Twitter: @zombie_67


  9. #19
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    August 16th, 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: NFS@Home: Updates

    Slowly closing the 10M mark...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •