Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFS@Home: Updates

Platinum Member

Re: NFS@Home: Updates

Personally i like projects that have high RAM requirements and i hate when projects water down an app to make it more accessible. It takes the fun out of it because it removes the knowledge that we're chasing an elite badge instead of just another common one. I'm aware that dumbing down RAM requirements allows for more participation, but it also hurts the project because now the app doesn't do what it needs to. So if you need 2GB/thread for your app to run optimally, then require it and give it it's own badge. I'll be excited to run something like that.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Personally i like projects that have high RAM requirements and i hate when projects water down an app to make it more accessible. It takes the fun out of it because it removes the knowledge that we're chasing an elite badge instead of just another common one. I'm aware that dumbing down RAM requirements allows for more participation, but it also hurts the project because now the app doesn't do what it needs to. So if you need 2GB/thread for your app to run optimally, then require it and give it it's own badge. I'll be excited to run something like that.
    As a matter of fact since beginning this projects tweaks down some parameters of the client to get memory down to 1GB/thread to please everybody. When we started more than 10 years ago people even hadn’t 2GB/thread.

Diamond Member

I can't remember... Does the app use AVX, AVX2, or AVX-512? If not, any chance to add that with the new app?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

After all this job will be run on the current app since the parameters were wrong in the beginning.

All applications don’t use avx, etc and no foreseen to be added since it’s very hard to play around the code, at least we can’t find anyone skilled enough to do it.

Username is valid

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    After we process the current 2.8M wus we will add a difficult job to process which will require at least 2GB/thread. I’ve requested admin to add some feedback on the news, also I mention to consider an increase of the wu credit, currently set at 130, since for this job we will be needing dedicated cruncher. We’re forecasting at current pace 3-4 months for this job. Will keep you all updated on the credit thing, can be an opportunity to reach goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    After all this job will be run on the current app since the parameters were wrong in the beginning.

All applications don’t use avx, etc and no foreseen to be added since it’s very hard to play around the code, at least we can’t find anyone skilled enough to do it.
    Hi Carlos,

There are currently 3.2M in the queue according to the server status, I guess they will take a while to clear.

If you are going to introduce new work units that need up to 2Gb each can you (Gregg) please let us know with at least a week's notice if not more please. Some of my machines will not be able to run the new work units without reducing the amount that run concurrently and I need the notice to get it done it time.

Thanks

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username is valid View Post
    Hi Carlos,

There are currently 3.2M in the queue according to the server status, I guess they will take a while to clear.

If you are going to introduce new work units that need up to 2Gb each can you (Gregg) please let us know with at least a week's notice if not more please. Some of my machines will not be able to run the new work units without reducing the amount that run concurrently and I need the notice to get it done it time.

Thanks
    The 3.2M wus already includes the new job which will be run on the same application, as previously stated on my last message, no need for 2GB/thread, only 1GB/thread. Thank you all.

Diamond Member

I just added 72 threads to NFS. I have about 11M to go, to get my 50M MM.

Diamond Member

I just added another 160 threads.

Gold Member

Slowly closing the 10M mark...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12