Thread: Windows Subsystem for Linux

Advisor - Stateside Division

Windows Subsystem for Linux

Maybe I don't take too much notice, but this is the first I'd heard of this feature in windows 10.

https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/win.../install-win10

I just enabled it and then ran the Debian installer. Took all of 10mins. The Debian OS mounted all of my drives, sees all cores and memory and can see everything as far as I can tell.

Now to try BOINC.

Seems like a native VM. Might be good for people who don't want to have the hassle of a dual boot system.
    Last edited by Bok; 03-29-19 at 11:29 AM.

Gold Member

Re: Windows Subsystem for Linux

This looks like a free way to remove the need for Exceed at work. I believe Linux can be used as a Window manager for AIX (IBM's unix).
    6r39 7r199

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: Windows Subsystem for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    This looks like a free way to remove the need for Exceed at work. I believe Linux can be used as a Window manager for AIX (IBM's unix).
    IBM are starting to discontinue AIX I believe. I always had a love/hate relationship with it. I did kind of like 'smit', but always prefer to script any OS changes if possible

Our SAP systems hosted by IBM are on AIX today, but they are moving them off onto SUSE next year. Not quite ready for RHEL I guess, even though they bought RedHat.