Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryzen 3000

Diamond Member

Re: Ryzen 3000

Thanks for the info. It's the waiting that is so annoying.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Also, for those wondering how long the new sTRX4 socket for the new Threadrippers will last, AMD said this:

Quote Originally Posted by AMD
    3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors will be using a new socket called sTRX4. While the pin count will be the same as previous-gen Threadripper products at 4094, the mapping of those pins to voltage or data will be different this time ‘round. You cannot install a 3rd Gen Threadripper into an older motherboard, nor an older Threadripper into a new sTRX4 motherboard.

There are two essential reasons for this:

1. We wanted to drive maximum performance for the 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors and sTRX4 helps us do exactly that. The 3rd Gen Threadripper will have 88 total PCIe Gen 4 lanes with 72 usable (CPU+motherboard). The net of total versus usable is because we’re also increasing the CPU<->chipset link from 4x Gen3 to 8x Gen4—quadruple the bandwidth vs. 2nd Gen TR. Extra data pins between the chipset and CPU make this possible, so you’ll be able to hang more I/O off the motherboard at full performance.

2. The socket change also sets us up nicely for future development and scalability of the Threadripper platform, both on a near- and long-term basis.

Silver Member

OUT OF STOCK
    damn lol

Diamond Member

$2k at newegg. At least we know that now.

Platinum Member

Intel has been getting reamed by the tech press all day. It's glorious lol...this is what they deserve.

BTW, AMD confirmed there will be a 64c/128t Threadripper.

Silver Member

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...r-3970x-review

AMD Threadripper 3970X and 3960X Review: High-End Domination

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Diamond Member

My intention is to build a 3970X cruncher. Maybe some mild OC, if any. I could use some advice.

• Looks like there are about 10 mobos available now, roughly all the same cost, ~$450-500. Maybe more by the time the CPUs are actually available. Any obvious favorites or things to avoid?
    • For memory, I would want at least 2gb/thread. So 128gb. I see it is quad channel, and that means either 4 or 8 DIMMs. Either 4x32gb or 8x16gb, and 4 is faster than 8, right? Also, it supports up to DDR-4666, but that is crazy expensive and I am not finding anything larger than 8gb DIMMs on newegg. For 32gb, it looks like the fastest speed is 2666, at ~$600 (for 4x). For 16gb the speeds range 2666-3200, and cost starting at ~$500 (for 8x). With no intention to extreme OC, what is the sweet spot? Or maybe I am missing a better/faster alternative?
    • CPU cooler suggestion? No custom water cooling, please. Either HS/Fan, or all-in-one.
    • Finally, I want to try out PCIe 4 NVMe M.2. Normally, I would just go with Samsung but they don't have a PCIe 4 version yet? So who else is the favorite?

Silver Member

mobo: depending what you want to build the rig for. Dedicated cruncher doesn't need all the belt and whistle so I'd aim for lower tier ... which is still around $450 - $500. Higher end is around $700 i believe. My choice would be either Asus (Prime) or Gigabyte (Master). I avoid MSI because of bad experiences and i just don't like ASrock bios. I'm leaning toward Gigabyte Master because of the VRM heatsink.

memory: definitely go 4xwhatever ... don't go 8 dimms (daisy chain). so 4x32 for your case. 3600mhz is what you need, higher doesn't make sense with the way Infinity Fabric works. Infinity Fabric works best when it goes 1:1 with Dram speed and cap out at around 3800mhz. So no need to buy Dram higher than that. Hell, 3200mhz with tight timings works almost the same with 3600mhz.

CPU cooler: You probably need a high end AIO. NZXT Kraken X72 for example. I just bought a deepcool castle 360ex aio, I'll test it on my 2990WX to see how it goes and report back. But I heard it's neck to neck with the NZXT.

NVME: no comment I'd like to try it myself, but I probably will wait. Because there are more potential for more speed. Right now, it's not at peak speed yet.

Diamond Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Follow-up: What is "tight timings"? I know that memory has x-x-x-x ratings, but I am ignorant as to how they relate. I gather that smaller is better. But what is "tight"? And how tight is tight enough?

Silver Member

yep, smaller is better. Basically just think of it as overclocking ... but instead of cpu, you're overclocking Dram. There's a tool for that called Ryzen Dram Calculator or something

https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/

the tool will take info from XMP and give you suggestions what you can do to improve.
    There are a few steps to gather info from your Dram and plug them in the tool and it'll calculate and give you what you can do.
    First you'll need to download Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html Freeware version
    Run it, find out if your Dram is 1 rank or 2 rank. Hynix or Samsung etc etc .. B-die or not.
    Once you see those info then just plug them in the Ryzen Calculator and it'll give you the Safe timing or Fast timing ... whichever you choose. Take a picture of that screen and go to your Bios and insert those values.

Search youtube for Ryzen Calculator how to ... to have an idea.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast