Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep seeing these "articles" about 40 - 50%+ faster GPUs coming...

Past Administrator

Keep seeing these "articles" about 40 - 50%+ faster GPUs coming...

So these "articles" keep popping up on my feed from various tech review places about significantly faster GPUs coming down the pike from both NV and AMD. Are any of them actually coming anytime soon or is this stuff like second half of this year or later? I think I have one card going out and none of my rigs have built-in GPUs on the mobo, so I'm going to have to get something, even if it's just a stop gap card.

If I need to purchase something - anything - in the next couple weeks if this one dies, anyone have suggestions on what's the best bang for the buck GPU that's actually available and not vapor-ware? Preferably at least as good or better than a GTX 980?
    Thanks!

Diamond Member

Re: Keep seeing these "articles" about 40 - 50%+ faster GPUs coming...

Best bang for the buck: Nvidia 1660 Ti
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I purchase a 1650 just to see what it could do, it was $160 and is 30% faster then my 980 that i purchase for $800 in the day. You can get a 1660ti for just over $300 best bang for the buck.

Past Administrator

Awesome, thanks Z and Dave! Are all 1660Ti cards pretty much the same, as in just look for a deal, or is there anything special I should watch for like how much RAM or specific brand or anything like that? I know when I bough these 1060 cards the 6GB was definitely a better crunching card than the 3GB version.

Silver Member

Past Administrator

@DaveGPU - thanks! Any other cards within about $100 of that price worth looking at that might be better for 4K gaming in the long run (not that I do a lot), or would you still stick with the 1660 Ti for now? I forgot to mention it's a dual purpose rig - not just crunching "only".

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @DaveGPU - thanks! Any other cards within about $100 of that price worth looking at that might be better for 4K gaming in the long run (not that I do a lot), or would you still stick with the 1660 Ti for now? I forgot to mention it's a dual purpose rig - not just crunching "only".
    The 1660ti is a great card for crunching and gaming at 1080, but 4K is a whole new game, as frame rate relies on cpu GPU, and comes at a premium.$$$$

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    ... but 4K is a whole new game...at a premium.$$$$
    Ah, I better stick with the 1660ti for now then.

Silver Member

1660ti is great ... super great for crunching. I got mine at $280 and it looks like it's still $280 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-G...s%2C263&sr=8-2

I'm running 8 of those on Collatz and power draw is 847 watts at the wall. That included 2 cpu, 2 mobos, 2 psu and a monitor.

For about the same price range, ~$300, you can get the 2060 KO from EVGA. Which is a bit faster than the 1660ti, but also draws more power ... about 117 watts by itself (Collatz).
    I don't game much, so I don't know how they perform on gaming.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by VietOZ View Post
    ...For about the same price range, ~$300, you can get the 2060 KO from EVGA. Which is a bit faster than the 1660ti, but also draws more power ...
    Right as I was going to pull the trigger on a 1660 ti tonight, you just had to go and complicate things! So then I spent the next two hours watching Youtube reviews and reading about the different chip in the EVGA KO Ultra version of the 2060 ... and that got me to looking at the bigger cards for the compute performance...
    I finally decided on an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming 8GB. Hope I don't end up regretting it with the higher TDP when crunching. Just couldn't ignore the additional 2GB of RAM for games and 4K video editing, along with the extra CUDA cores for crunching.
    A big thank you to everyone for the advice. The 1660 ti does look like the card to beat performance / watt or dollar. Just happened to see a good deal on this 2070, so here goes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast