Thread: Portable generator

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Portable generator

Time for a new generator. I want a portable because of cost. I've narrowed it down to these 3...

Westinghouse WGen 12000

Generac XG10000E

NorthStar 13000

All are supposed to have 5% or less THD. I'm leaning towards the Generac because they've been at it for a while. The Westinghouse is a about $200 more but has an additional 2000 watt capacity.

Opinions?

Administrator

Re: Portable generator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Time for a new generator. I want a portable because of cost. I've narrowed it down to these 3...

Westinghouse WGen 12000

Generac XG10000E

NorthStar 13000

All are supposed to have 5% or less THD. I'm leaning towards the Generac because they've been at it for a while. The Westinghouse is a about $200 more but has an additional 2000 watt capacity.

Opinions?
    So, when you lose power, what do you need/want running. Mine has about 50% of the capacities you're looking at and mine runs everything but the HVAC, though not everything at once. That said, I'd go with the generac.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Westinghouse WGen 12000

Generac XG10000E

NorthStar 13000

Opinions?
    I would go with the Westinghouse myself since the price is basically the same and the Westinghouse has so much more to offer, is more capable. (and I'm a proud generac 5k owner)

Yes Generac has been around a while, but Westinghouse has been building generators and selling them for 120 years. they built the first hydro-electric generating station in the world. Niagara Power Station No. 1, with generators designed by Nikola Tesla, opened in 1895, Westinghouse does have a bit of a reputation in the power generating business...

A couple of refrigerators, hot water, microwave, coffee maker, ceiling fans, PC (no crunching), game console, several TVs, network/wifi, portable AC. I don't want to mess around figuring out what to shut off and what to turn on except for hot water. I have a wife and son who will not stop and think about what they can turn on and what they can't. Most of my appliances also have electronics in them so I want clean power and don't want to push the gen capacity too high.

Administrator

A couple of refrigerators, hot water, microwave, coffee maker, ceiling fans, PC (no crunching), game console, several TVs, network/wifi, portable AC. I don't want to mess around figuring out what to shut off and what to turn on except for hot water. I have a wife and son who will not stop and think about what they can turn on and what they can't. Most of my appliances also have electronics in them so I want clean power and don't want to push the gen capacity too high.
    Sounds like a pretty good hotel. I know where to go when NC loses power.

If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy

Silver Member

Have a briggs and stratton generator. No problems with it at all in 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by dcushing View Post
    My old generator has a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard (V-twin) engine and I've had it for 20 years. I ended up buying the Generac GX10000E though.

Quote Originally Posted by dcushing View Post
    How are things in Slidell?

Silver Member

How are things in Slidell?
    ok, just internet outages was all,, after the 8th reset I just turned everything off and went to bed for the night and watched over the air tv...