Thread: gpu crunching on gpugrid

Gold Member

gpu crunching on gpugrid

I have been running 2 gtx 1050 ti's in one box without any problems. today I find one of the gup's is not running. According to GPUZ one is running around 98% and the other at 0%. I have checked everything I know of to check and restarted Boinc and the box both. nothing seems to help. I need some one to tell me what I'm doing wrong. knowing me it is something so simple it is stupid.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Administrator

Re: gpu crunching on gpugrid

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    I have been running 2 gtx 1050 ti's in one box without any problems. today I find one of the gup's is not running. According to GPUZ one is running around 98% and the other at 0%. I have checked everything I know of to check and restarted Boinc and the box both. nothing seems to help. I need some one to tell me what I'm doing wrong. knowing me it is something so simple it is stupid.
    I saw exactly the same thing when I was running GPUGrid and I tried what you tried. I gave up and the next morning 2 were running on that machine as they should have been all the time. I have no idea why it happened.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I saw exactly the same thing when I was running GPUGrid and I tried what you tried. I gave up and the next morning 2 were running on that machine as they should have been all the time. I have no idea why it happened.
    thanks Al, this morning I still only have one running, but I figured out one other thing I had changed. I had started running yoyo m Queen on that machine. if I stop yoyo then I get both Gpu's running again. I guess I will have to run yoyo on something else. don't have a clue why they both will not run with yoyo.

Administrator

thanks Al, this morning I still only have one running, but I figured out one other thing I had changed. I had started running yoyo m Queen on that machine. if I stop yoyo then I get both Gpu's running again. I guess I will have to run yoyo on something else. don't have a clue why they both will not run with yoyo.
    Now that you've jogged my memory, it was actually Einstein I had that problem with AND it would have been about the same time I was running M Queen to 100 hours. Since it was a quick trip to 100 hours I didn't take time to figure it out and never associated M Queen with the problem. Good catch!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member

If any CPU project is running in High Priority mode, that will limit GPU utilization. Watching M Queens on my systems, it seems to have a poor estimate of time and will get to like 70% Complete after about 7 hours, but then spike the Time to completion to over a week. So I'd throw out the guess that that may be involved.

Gold Member

hmmm according to Pro Lasso the only projects I have running in High Priority is GPUGRID. I did play around a bit and found if I run 3 yoyo wu's and 4 DHEP wu's I then get both GPU's running. That seems a little strange but I will let the wu's finish out that way.

Administrator

@Rick, ProLasso isn't going to show it. It is the scheduler in the BOINC Client that puts the WU into the "High Priority Mode". It doesn't actually change the priority as far as the computer is concerned. It only changes how the BOINC Client behaves and what it allows to run and when it allows it to run. The BOINC scheduler isn't the smartest SW that has ever been written

Turn down the number of cores given to the CPU project using the app_config.... I have this happen to me routinely when running multi GPU.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The BOINC scheduler isn't the smartest SW that has ever been written
    No doubt about that, has something to do with it's inventor's brain pan I think...