Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Upgrades - Need Suggestions!

Gold Member

2019 Upgrades - Need Suggestions!

Hey all, I've been running some CPU stuff on autopilot for a while, and I thought it might be time to revamp my fleet. I have several dormant rigs, some due to reliability and some due to the fact I haven't had an office in over a year, and I can't run all this stuff in my house. Especially in the Memphis heat! I have an office now, so I'd like to upgrade at least one box to put there.

I have an X99 rig with a Xeon E5-2670 V3 ES 12c/24t CPU and 2x GTX 960. I was thinking of upgrading it to E5-2699 V4 22c/44t and a RTX 2080 Super:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...X/163770114205

https://www.outletpc.com/jc9214.html

Let me know what you think, I'm way behind on all the new stuff-

Re: 2019 Upgrades - Need Suggestions!

Just an opinion here...
    My E5-2670 V3 ES 12c/24t CPUs are trashing the V4's (all cores/threads versions) everywhere I run directly against them.

There's nothing wrong with the processor, it still a very capable CPU, better than most, it keeps up fairly well with the Threadrippers also...

The 2080 GPU is a good one better than a 1080Ti by about 25% head to head, but if you can afford it go for the 2080Ti, it's better even still.

Conclusion on best advice? I would keep the processor and go for the better GPU.... (unless your considering a threadripper, that's where the cutting edge is right now)

(just a note, that x99 MB throttles the
    E5-2670 V3 Xeons, in fact it throttles all Xeons. I would suggest if your considering upgrading, update to an X10 supermicro server MB. It really unlocks the capabilities of the 2700 series Xeons)

Gold Member

Derp... not sure why I didn't consider swapping the mobo for a dual-socket and adding a 2nd E5-2670 V3. It will even cost less, and for more threads

Here's what I'll get:
    https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-mb...82E16813182967

Is it best to fill all the memory slots? I don't know if I can justify the cost of 128Gb RAM... I think 64 will have to do. Better to do 8x8 or 4x16?

Quote Originally Posted by Egilman View Post
    Just an opinion here...
    My E5-2670 V3 ES 12c/24t CPUs are trashing the V4's (all cores/threads versions) everywhere I run directly against them.

There's nothing wrong with the processor, it still a very capable CPU, better than most, it keeps up fairly well with the Threadrippers also...

The 2080 GPU is a good one better than a 1080Ti by about 25% head to head, but if you can afford it go for the 2080Ti, it's better even still.

Conclusion on best advice? I would keep the processor and go for the better GPU.... (unless your considering a threadripper, that's where the cutting edge is right now)

(just a note, that x99 MB throttles the
    E5-2670 V3 Xeons, in fact it throttles all Xeons. I would suggest if your considering upgrading, update to an X10 supermicro server MB. It really unlocks the capabilities of the 2700 series Xeons)

That's the ticket, I ran one when I had my 7990's. (I had to upgrade to one with onboard video after the big GPU crash)

Memory? I would go with 4 sticks rather than two.... and make sure you update to the latest bios.

If I remember right, it will accept standard H55 CPU AIO coolers also.... (it will also accept three GPUs all at x16)

Very good MB for what we do....

Diamond Member

Just a note for others watching this thread: If you are buying older CPUs, be sure to avoid ivybridge (v2) or earlier. They lack AVX2. You need at least Haswell (v3) or later, to get AVX2.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Here's what I'll get:
    https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-mb...82E16813182967

Is it best to fill all the memory slots? I don't know if I can justify the cost of 128Gb RAM... I think 64 will have to do. Better to do 8x8 or 4x16?
    Those CPUs are quad channel. I *think* that means you want to have at least 4 DIMMs, and if you add more, you should add them in sets of 4. But if you add more than one DIMM per channel, things slow down.

But I am not sure if that rule is per CPU or per MB.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Those CPUs are quad channel. I *think* that means you want to have at least 4 DIMMs, and if you add more, you should add them in sets of 4. But if you add more than one DIMM per channel, things slow down.

But I am not sure if that rule is per CPU or per MB.
    You want 4 DIMMs per CPU max on quad channel Xeons. That way each DIMM has it's own dedicated memory controller and is faster. So 8 DIMMs total on a dual socket board.

Gold Member

Pulled the trigger on the dual Xeon motherboard, a 2nd 12c/24t Xeon E5-2670 V3, 64Gb RAM, and an RTX 2080 Super. While I wait for the CPU I got the 2080 Super up and running... 15 Mil per day on Collatz ain't bad!!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Pulled the trigger on the dual Xeon motherboard, a 2nd 12c/24t Xeon E5-2670 V3, 64Gb RAM, and an RTX 2080 Super. While I wait for the CPU I got the 2080 Super up and running... 15 Mil per day on Collatz ain't bad!!
    Very impressive. I'm a little jealous lol

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Very impressive. I'm a little jealous lol
    Me too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast