Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Upgrades - Need Suggestions!

Re: 2019 Upgrades - Need Suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Pulled the trigger on the dual Xeon motherboard, a 2nd 12c/24t Xeon E5-2670 V3, 64Gb RAM, and an RTX 2080 Super. While I wait for the CPU I got the 2080 Super up and running... 15 Mil per day on Collatz ain't bad!!
    Good DEAL! Your going to fall in love with that setup, I know I did..... (I have six of them, I only wish the 2080's had come out two months earlier)

Gold Member

Those of you using Supermicro X10, what’s the trick to getting the mb to recognize the 2nd CPU? Or have I likely received one of the unlucky boards that needs to be RMAd?

BIOS is latest, and I have memory on each CPU. When I go to BIOS settings, everything is blank for CPU 2.

....... Or have I likely received one of the unlucky boards that needs to be RMAd? .......
    Yeah unfortunately...... updated Bios isn't recognizing the socket? It's a socket problem that crops up occasionally with all X-10 duals/quads.

I got two of them, both ran fine on a single processor...... Supermicro will do the upfront pre-swap, send you a replacement then you can send the bad board back.... Just make sure you put the dead one in the correct serial numbered box, they get irritated when it isn't....

Diamond Member

Just a shot: Sometimes, there are two power connections on the MB, one for each CPU. Do you have both CPUs powered?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Just a shot: Sometimes, there are two power connections on the MB, one for each CPU. Do you have both CPUs powered?
    The Supermicro X-10's do have two, they are off white plastic and located right next to the main PS connection, they have sticky tags over them telling you that you have to connect both of them. Pretty hard to miss...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Egilman View Post
    The Supermicro X-10's do have two, they are off white plastic and located right next to the main PS connection, they have sticky tags over them telling you that you have to connect both of them. Pretty hard to miss...
    Yes, I plugged 8-pin CPU power to both those connectors. I have another CPU coming today, I'll try that and see if it makes any difference. If not, I'll get the RMA started

Yes, I plugged 8-pin CPU power to both those connectors. I have another CPU coming today, I'll try that and see if it makes any difference. If not, I'll get the RMA started
    When I had the first one of mine, the service tech told me to drop the second CPU in the #1 socket and see if it boots with the 2nd CPU in single processor mode, it did so I knew the CPU's were ok. He automatically gave me an RMA# and with a credit card# they shipped it out immediately. Got it two days later and it booted fine with both installed....

He told me it happens with about 2-3% of the X-10 dual and quad MB's they ship, something to do with the way the sockets are installed on the MB in assembly.... (It's very touchy and if not precise, it breaks something)

But no issues with the RMA though. Smooth as glass.....

Gold Member

So I noticed two of my E5-2670 V3s were showing up as "Stepping 1" in CPU info, the other "Stepping 2." So I put the two like CPUs together and it's working! So glad I didn't have to RMA

Platinum Member

I was gonna make a suggestion about the stepping but it didn't seem the problems you were having would've been caused by that. Learned something new

So I noticed two of my E5-2670 V3s were showing up as "Stepping 1" in CPU info, the other "Stepping 2." So I put the two like CPUs together and it's working! So glad I didn't have to RMA
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I was gonna make a suggestion about the stepping but it didn't seem the problems you were having would've been caused by that. Learned something new
    Wow, I didn't even think to ask you to check that....

YES! Stepping has to be the same on all processors in any dual/quad processor/SMP situation....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12