Thread: RNA World (beta): Unplanned server shut down

Diamond Member

RNA World (beta): Unplanned server shut down

Dear participants,
    for unknown reasons, the RNA World server shut down yesterday.
    Due to the unusually high temperatures my best guess at present is that the machine has undergone a safety shut down to prevent hardware damage.
    We will investigate this in more detail.
    For now, after manual inspection I have managed to successfuly reboot the machine and everything seems to work fine again.
    Some measures have been taken to try to reduce the temperature in the server room.
    Thanks a lot to those who have reported this issue to us - fortunately, and in contrast to all other BOINC projects, our discussion forum is independently hosted from the project server such that we remain reachable even in case of a total system failure. ;-)

Liebe Unterstützer,
    aus ungeklärten Gründen ist der RNA World Server gestern ausgeschaltet worden. Aufgrund der derzeit hohen Sommertemperaturen tippe ich darauf, dass sich die Maschine zur Vermeidung von Hardwareschäden runtergefahren hat. Wir haben die Logs noch nicht ausgewertet, werden der Ursache aber noch im Detail nachgehen.
    Nach Inspizierung vor Ort habe ich den Server inzwischen erfolgreich manuell wieder hochgefahren und derzeit scheint alles normal zu funktionieren.
    Es wurden ein paar Maßnahmen ergriffen, um die Temperaturen im Serverraum etwas niedriger zu halten.
    Bedanken möchten wir uns recht herzlich bei denjenigen, die uns über das Problem informierten - glücklicherweise ist unser Diskussionsforum anders als bei allen anderen BOINC-Projekten von der Serverinfrastruktur unabhängig, sodass wir auch nach einem Totalausfall erreichbar bleiben. ;-)

Michael.

More...

Administrator

Re: RNA World (beta): Unplanned server shut down

Seems weird, since they rarely have work...at least work that I've been able to get. They should be running very cool.