So I'm relatively new to this multi project thing.
I've been attempting to figure out which CPU projects favor Intel's (usually anyway) advantage in IPC and AVX (Primegrid) and which favors AMD's multithreading (Amicable). In doing so I've found a few oddities that maybe someone can help answer.
I've noticed that Boinc really doesn't know how to manage resources I set for a project. I have Universe set for at 10 total resources and amicable set for 100 (or the default), just as an example, yet Universe has been steadily crunching for the last week or more. I've been suspending Universe in the meantime and micromanaging myself. Why have resource management if Boinc clearly doesn't respect it?
That being said, what are some best practices for running multiple CPU projects? How many days of boinc cached work is a reasonable amount (apart from bunkering). Right now I have 0.1 days minimum with up to an additional 0.5. It seems like it takes boinc a while to settle down and figure out just how much work amounts to 0.5 days, though. It either overcompensates or doesn't fetch enough because it doesn't think the CPU will be able to finish what it has. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait a few months? Or should I be setting this to more or less? Deadlines are being met so maybe I'm just overcomplicating things.
What do folks use to track actual daily credits per machine rather than RAC? That seems to be wildly varying for some odd reason on the same computer with the same project, and we won't even talk about two different projects...I've been using BAM, but the "new" design is very much not screen reader friendly.
Has anyone tried the projects with advantages in Linux inside of a virtual machine? Are the gains worthwhile? Or even the Linux subsystem within Windows 10.
Anything else I should bare in mind?
Thanks!