Thread: FX8350 soon to be gone. MSI Trident good replacement?

FX8350 soon to be gone. MSI Trident good replacement?

Came home from grabbing some groceries today and all 5 fans on the machine were at max RPM. It was running an h100I.
    I don't know how long it was sitting there, but opened it up and got hit with a pretty nice blast of heat. The lower tube - the output from the water block - was extremely hot. I'm not sure how nothing ended up being on fire or completely shut down/damaged.
    From what I can tell, the shrowds (or whatever you want to call them) that cap the ends of the two tubes at each end have cracked and separated. I haven't actually checked to see if water remained - not entirely sure what the lifespan on these are.
    The pump does run - though at a higher RPM - maybe 2400? CPU temperature rises and doesn't spike. The upper tube remained cool.
    It is 6, probably at this point closer to 7.5 years old. I'd say it's had its time, and so I'm now looking at replacements. Amazingly, the CPU remains operational - all be it with the stock cooler and some reapplied thermal paste. Love my AMD. Don't love the heat and power this one generates...

I'm looking at replacing it with something like https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16883152...-494-_-Product

Maybe on black Friday. I really don't have the room for another tower. Or maybe I'll just throw together a motherboard, processor and gpu. The downside is that MSI is going to get very very hot. I could always put it right next to a window in the winter and just make sure to pop it open and clean the dust out fairly regularly.
    Any thoughts/opinions?

Re: FX8350 soon to be gone. MSI Trident good replacement?

In my opinion, it's a downgrade from the 8350. (6 cores vs 8 and slower as well) I would replace the cooler and upgrade the GPU if you really want to spend the money.....

The FX 8300 series AMD's have held up really well over the years.... (virtually indestructible) In fact the only reason I moved away from them (5 of them) was I got a deal of a lifetime on a dozen of these 12/24 c/t Xeons.... (250 ish apiece back when they were running ten times that retail, at that price point upgrading was a no brainer)

I donated the 8300's to former teammates who needed an upgrade, they were very happy to get them.....

This would be an upgrade for the same money.....

Ryzen 3700 system
    Last edited by Egilman; 09-10-19 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egilman View Post
    In my opinion, it's a downgrade from the 8350. (6 cores vs 8 and slower as well) I would replace the cooler and upgrade the GPU if you really want to spend the money.....

The FX 8300 series AMD's have held up really well over the years.... (virtually indestructible) In fact the only reason I moved away from them (5 of them) was I got a deal of a lifetime on a dozen of these 12/24 c/t Xeons.... (250 ish apiece back when they were running ten times that retail, at that price point upgrading was a no brainer)

I donated the 8300's to former teammates who needed an upgrade, they were very happy to get them.....

This would be an upgrade for the same money.....

Ryzen 3700 system
    Hi Egilman,
    The fx isn't going anywhere. It's still crunching away. It just might be relocated. I had worried that the high temps (Not even sure how high) might have done it in. I do know that the high temp shutoff kicked in when I booted into the bios but didn't when it was crunching. Maybe fans revving into jet engine saved it. So far so good.
    It is definitely indestructible..
    Right now, I'm not so much looking for CPU power but GPU. I'm also looking for something very small. Not that this would create less heat with its specs, but my power bill in July and August were probably the highest I've ever seen, and there were a few days where I was forced to either put machines into power saving mode or just stop crunching all together because of heat. The i7 version of this also has 8 cores but a lower base clock speed.
    I travel to the parents on weekends every so often, and it would be nice to be able to throw this in a bag on hotter days and have it crunch away in their ridiculously cool basement that gets air conditioning pumped into it on top of that. That's probably where the fx will be going too. Maybe I can get something like a Fractal Design Node 202 with a 8 or 12 thread Ryzen in a Mini ITX form factor.
    I think I have a Cooler Master cooler in my box of computer parts so I'll throw that on the 8350 and maybe add a used 1050 or rx560 from ebay. I'm loathed to throw equipment away when it is still functioning...
    Hmm, maybe a Christmas present to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman1360 View Post
    Hi Egilman,
    The fx isn't going anywhere. It's still crunching away. It just might be relocated. I had worried that the high temps (Not even sure how high) might have done it in. I do know that the high temp shutoff kicked in when I booted into the bios but didn't when it was crunching. Maybe fans revving into jet engine saved it. So far so good.
    It is definitely indestructible..
    Right now, I'm not so much looking for CPU power but GPU. I'm also looking for something very small. Not that this would create less heat with its specs, but my power bill in July and August were probably the highest I've ever seen, and there were a few days where I was forced to either put machines into power saving mode or just stop crunching all together because of heat. The i7 version of this also has 8 cores but a lower base clock speed.
    I travel to the parents on weekends every so often, and it would be nice to be able to throw this in a bag on hotter days and have it crunch away in their ridiculously cool basement that gets air conditioning pumped into it on top of that. That's probably where the fx will be going too. Maybe I can get something like a Fractal Design Node 202 with a 8 or 12 thread Ryzen in a Mini ITX form factor.
    I think I have a Cooler Master cooler in my box of computer parts so I'll throw that on the 8350 and maybe add a used 1050 or rx560 from ebay. I'm loathed to throw equipment away when it is still functioning...
    Hmm, maybe a Christmas present to myself?
    Yep the FX 8350 is a rock solid chip no doubt about that, well worth keeping.....

This would be an absolutely fantastic Christmas present for yourself.....

Ryzen 7 in a mini ITX Case.....

Not to bad for a 8c/16t machine with an RX 5700 8 gig..... Too small for me, I need room to grow {chuckle}

I would probably want to build my own also, would be cheaper and more upgradeable in the long run....