Thread: Sweet spot GPU?

Diamond Member

Sweet spot GPU?

I need an Nvidia GPU for one of my machines. Not really in the mood to spend a grand on a top-end card right now. What is a good mid-range GPU now, considering cost, performance, and power consumption?

Back in the day, it was the 650 Ti. Now there are the old 10 series, the newer 20 series (but only high end), and an even newer 16 series for the mid-range of the 20 series (I guess).

Looking at the claimed specs for all these, it seems the sweet spot is either the 1660 ($225) or 1660 Ti ($275).

Thoughts?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: Sweet spot GPU?

I've sure heard a lot of good things about the 1660. VietOZ and davidBAM run a bunch of them.

Silver Member

GTX 1660ti is king for perfomance/dollar imo. power consumption is also supa low ... you can basically set power limit to -20% and forget about it. I have 8 of these beasts (well, not really)
    They really shine on Moo, PrimeGrid and Collatz. Other projects, not so much ... but for $280 ... worth every pennies.
    I got 2 set of 4x1660ti running Moo and power consumption for each machine top out at 530 watts. The whole machine. 4m ppd each

Diamond Member

Thanks for the advice guys! Any particular brand or model? Or just go with whatever is cheapest?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

all 8 of mine are MSI GTX 1660 TI Ventus XS 6G OC. I bought 1 first to see how it goes when it first came out, then played with it and fell in love with it. So I bought all the rest with the same model. I can't speak for the other model as I don't own one. But check youtube for the reviews, other brand maybe better. All these naming schemes are confusing, so I just went with what worked for me.

Hmm. I will have to pick a few of these little guys up. Herd really good things about them.
    How does the regular 1660 compare to the ti? Seems like there isn't a huge difference from the 1070 to 1070 ti, but a bit more between 1080 and 1080 ti for instance.