Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QuChemPedIA@home

Administrator

QuChemPedIA@home

Apparently the problem with wasting cores/threads (little CPU loading) is caused by the executable assigning all WU to the same cores. The t1 WU use core/thread 0 and the t2 WU us 0 and 1. They are overriding the OS scheduler and assigning the affinity.

On my 64t machine, I'm running 2 BOINC instances with each given 32 threads. Looking at HTOP (linux) it is showing 2 threads at 100% on each CPU so out of 64t only 4 are in use.

Since it has been pointed out to them maybe they will change the executable so it doesn't assign affinity.

Administrator

Re: QuChemPedIA@home

SUSA has passed LaF in the race to 1st team to 1M Not bad considering LaF ran this as a private project for almost 2 months.

I don't think they really wanted to go public but they contacted Willy to get their stats listed. I'm betting he said he wouldn't list a private project.

Diamond Member

FWIW, I found that running fewer concurrent tasks helps reduce the occurrence of stuck "VM job unmanageable" tasks. Pretty sure running a single task avoids it all together. It will take some experimentation to see how many will work before it starts happening. And I believe it will be machine-specific. I have one machine that can run 16 at a time, and never had any stuck tasks. All the rest of my machines have the problem to some degree, some worse than others. It's nanohub all over again. I an really starting to dislike projects with vm-based applications. Not all have this problem, of course. But the added memory requirements are just that much more annoying.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

I'm running 64-72 threads on mine (linux). I'm having to do a tremendous amount of baby sitting. It would be fantastic if SUSA gets the 1st team to 1M on LaF's private project. You notice only the LaF folks have the Beta badges.

SUSA 580k
    LaF 176k
    Last edited by Bryan; 10-06-19 at 02:03 AM.

Diamond Member

There are badges?! I tried running the beta app, which is a 4 thread MT app only for linux (vs the 2 thread production app). But I get nothing but failures. I think this is because all my linux machines are VMs. I am guessing native linux machines can run this app.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    There are badges?! I tried running the beta app, which is a 4 thread MT app only for linux (vs the 2 thread production app). But I get nothing but failures. I think this is because all my linux machines are VMs. I am guessing native linux machines can run this app.
    It's not the VM Z, 100% failure for me on native Linux. There are several posts on their forums saying that all the Intel_mt tasks croak immediately. I turned off run test apps and I'm only doing the t1/t1 apps.

Yes, the 1st badge "bronze" is at 10k. Silver is 100k I think.

Administrator

SUSA got both the 1st team and 1st user to 1M

I've gone NNT. I need to clean things out so I can run some under my real account rather than the "junk" account.

Gold Member

Can you run this on Windows? I've attached for weeks and never gotten any wus.

Administrator

All I have are Windows machines and I ran it during the challenge.

The site seems to be down this last week whenever I check on it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    Can you run this on Windows? I've attached for weeks and never gotten any wus.
    hey artemis8 I ran this when they first came out on windows boxes and got clear up to 11,000 credits and now nothing for a long time. if you are looking for a new project I have been getting a lot of work at sidock@home. it seems to keep a few boxes full anyway.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast