Thread: View Linux desktop remotely from Windows

Administrator

View Linux desktop remotely from Windows

On my Win8 laptop I use a program, BitVise, to SSH into my machines running Linux. That program gives me a terminal window and a file manager that allows me to do things on the Linux box either from my LAN or WAN (remote). I get full command line control from the terminal and I can upload/download files or modify them using the file manager.

I've been using that program (freebie) for several years and I've noticed it has a "remote desktop" feature that I had never tried before. I finally got around to reading the documentation (RTFM) for BitVise and it basically says that you can get the Linux desktop to be exported to your Windows machine where you can display it full screen or run it in a smaller window on the Windows machine. It is like TeamViewer, ie it is the same as sitting in front of the machine looking at a monitor.

To get it to work you install Xrdp on the Linux machine. That is a program that converts Linux's X11 graphics to Windows Remote Desktop Protocol. You also have to have port 3389 available.

When using BitVise you establish a SSH connection and then click on the "Remote Desktop" button. Windows will ask if you want to allow that program to run and then just click yes and the next thing you know you are looking at the desktop of the Linux machine

I haven't actually set that up on my home machines but I will when I return to CO in Dec. DavidBAM did setup an account for me on one of his Linux hosts and I was able to connect from TX to the UK and from my Win8 laptop. I had full visibility and control of his machine. I've included a screen shot of the session (Ubuntu 18.04).

DavidBAM said all he had to do was install Xrdp and open his firewall to allow port 3389 to be accessed from the internet. For stuff on your local LAN you shouldn't need to do anything port wise.

HERE is a link on how to install Xrdp and use it straight from Windows without using BitVise.

Remote BOINC smaller.jpg
    Last edited by Bryan; 11-01-19 at 09:45 AM.

Platinum Member

Re: View Linux desktop remotely from Windows

Also, don't forget the remote console abilities built in to VirtualBox. So if you are running any machines (Linux or Windows) as a VBox guest on any host (Windows or Linux) you can rdp to that guest from a Windows machine if you enable The Guests Remote Display

Settings-> Display -> Remote Display

Keep in mind, the default here is port 3389, which is the standard port for RDP. If you have multiple Guests on a single host, you'll need to assign each their own port. (Also, remember if you want to rdp to the host, it will also be at that 3389 port.)

Personally, I simply increase the port number used by each guest as I set them up.

Host:3389 = The Hosts display
    Host:3390 = Guest #1
    Host:3391 = Guest #2
    Host:3392 = Guest #3
    etc