Thread: Hello!

tpudina

Lightbulb Hello!

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to crunching for SETI, but a longtime fan. I am studying Biology and Earth and Space science, with the hopes of eventually working at SETI someday. I love music - I make beats and play guitar and sing - as well as reading about information theory, philosophy, and scifi.

Glad to be here!

Platinum Member

Re: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by tpudina View Post
    Hi, everyone.

I'm new to crunching for SETI, but a longtime fan. I am studying Biology and Earth and Space science, with the hopes of eventually working at SETI someday. I love music - I make beats and play guitar and sing - as well as reading about information theory, philosophy, and scifi.

Glad to be here!
    Welcome to the boards!

Administrator

Welcome! Glad to have you on the forums. In addition to SETI there are a lot of other BOINC projects that might interest you in Biology, Earth and Space science. Have fun and let us know if you have any questions. Don't forget to join Team SETI.USA on each of the projects you work.

Gold Member

welcome to the team and boards, glad to have you here.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

tpudina

This is so exciting I'm open to any suggestions around maximizing data crunch.

Other projects: Rosetta Stone

I want to add more, but the projects are really slow to load and keep giving Suspended status due to CPU being busy - despite my settings...I've got to investigate (and I'm sure there's info here somewhere about performance).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tpudina View Post
    This is so exciting I'm open to any suggestions around maximizing data crunch.

Other projects: Rosetta Stone

I want to add more, but the projects are really slow to load and keep giving Suspended status due to CPU being busy - despite my settings...I've got to investigate (and I'm sure there's info here somewhere about performance).
    Rosetta has some fairly large downloads, at least initially. What type and speed of internet connection do you have and type of computer are you running, cpu. etc?

Administrator

@tpudina - check your settings in the Boinc Manager and make sure the that the CPU is allowed to compute when other things are being done. The default BOINC setting will suspend computation if you move the mouse or are using the computer for something else.

Under the OPTIONS tab select COMPUTING PREFERENCES. Then depending on the version of BOINC you are running you want to set it so that it is allowed to run when the computer is in use.

tpudina

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    @tpudina - check your settings in the Boinc Manager and make sure the that the CPU is allowed to compute when other things are being done. The default BOINC setting will suspend computation if you move the mouse or are using the computer for something else.

Under the OPTIONS tab select COMPUTING PREFERENCES. Then depending on the version of BOINC you are running you want to set it so that it is allowed to run when the computer is in use.
    Thanks!!