Thread: Graphite Thermal Pad vs grease?

Diamond Member

Graphite Thermal Pad vs grease?

Has anyone personally tried this out? It seems like it would be longer lasting, and perhaps more importantly, removes the guesswork when applying grease. I know we were using them with Sparc chips back when I was still working for oracle.

They raised the question about covering a larger CPU. It comes in 30x30 and 40x40. I know the actual CPU is usually much smaller than the cover. But I am not sure of the size of a threadripper CPU?

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: Graphite Thermal Pad vs grease?

The 3970X can put out nearly 300W of heat under max loads without overclocking. I don't know of any pad that could handle that. It's 58.5 x 75.4 though if you want to try.

A good grease pattern for the TR is to make an X in the middle of the chip with each line being about 2 inches long. Then put 1 pea-sized dot in each of the 4 open areas created by the X shape

Diamond Member

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/p...9-carbonaut-en

They have one for the 1st/2nd gen threadripper: "51 x 68 AMD Threadripper CPUs e.g. 1950X, 1920X, 2990WX". Maybe that is good enough to cover the actual chip?

My problem with grease is that I over-apply, just because there is no way to be sure what the right amount is. Then, when I remove a heatsink for whatever reason, it is clear I put too much on from all the over-flow around the edges. I do it so rarely, I never get good at it.

Assuming I stick with grease, is Arctic Silver 5 still the best? Last time I checked was something like 15 years ago. I still see it mentioned.

Edit: Man, there are a LOT of videos on YouTube about thermal grease. And everyone seems to have different opinions on how to apply it. Yikes. Anyway, I bought some Noctua NT-H1.
    Last edited by zombie67; 12-24-19 at 02:38 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

The thickness of the grease is in function of how much you want to dissipate of thermal heat vs cost, this is purely a heat and mass optimization transfer problem. Also not sure if a CPU can be consider as a fin. I bet there are some academic papers on this subject....