Thread: Good mid-price GPU "early" 2020?

Past Administrator

Good mid-price GPU "early" 2020?

Anyone have recommendations or scuttlebutt on what GPUs might be coming down the pike in the next month or so? I'm going to build a dedicated rig connected to a 3D printer out of spare parts and that *might* necessitate me moving the lowest of my GPUs - a GTX 1060 3GB card - to that, leaving a hole in one of my 3 crunching rigs for an upgrade. Looking for the best performance per watt - or maybe a card above that if it's going to give significantly better performance. Any suggestions if the "NEED" for a GPU upgrade materializes?

Diamond Member

Re: Good mid-price GPU "early" 2020?

I found the best mid-range is the 1660 Ti. Great performance, good power consumption and price.

Edit: See here: https://www.setiusa.us/showthread.ph...Sweet-spot-GPU
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Thanks, Z! I'll give that a solid look. I know this sounds totally geeky but I'm wondering if that card would give "good enough" rendering in the new flight sim that MS is finally working on? Supposed to be some sweet detail if you have a GPU powerful enough.

Platinum Member

The 5600 XT is supposed to launch soon and is aimed at being a direct competitor to the 1660 Ti. Jan. 6th at CES should give us more info

Past Administrator

Perfect, thanks! Hope some competition will help the prices.

Platinum Member

5600XT 7.2 TFLOPS $279. Seems to be ~15% faster than the 1660Ti in gaming. Not sure how that'll translate to crunching or what the price difference is. Supposed to be available Jan. 21st.

Diamond Member

Yeah, there are a couple of projects that do significantly better with AMD. But most of them do best with Nvidia. And GPUGRID is Nvidia-only. So keep that in mind when making a choice.

Personally I have one top-of-the-line AMD, and all the rest Nvidia. That lets me cover the various projects, and maximize credits.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I agreed with Z. For crunching, Radeon VII still AMD's best. Unless they fix the opencl and projects upgrading their codes, the Navi gpus pretty much useless with crunching. My 5700XT Anniversary finally was able to crunch Collatz last night, run time was a tad slower than 1070ti. On other project like Einstein, Milky ... it either won't work at all or performed worst than a RX 580.

Gold Member

Use Radeon VII to look for world record prime number at https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23391. Guys in there can test a number in less than 20 hours.