Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Best CPU/Motherboard Combination Discussion Thread. AMD vs. Intel

2011 Best CPU/Motherboard Combination Discussion Thread. AMD vs. Intel

In light of recent discussion about whether Intel offers better value for the dollar compared to AMD in dual cpu configurations, I wanted to offer some of my own findings to help us all debate this issue in a central thread.

Let's watch these two computers increase their RAC for the next few days at Aqua and see which one offers the best RAC for the price tag of cpu/motherboard.

AQUA@Home Crunch Competition;
    24 cores Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5660 @ 2.80GHz
    Processor Cost: 2 x $1239 NewEgg.com
    Motherboard Cost: 1 x $304 ASUS Z8NA-D6 UNCONFIRMED USE ON THIS SERVER Newegg.com

16 cores AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6128 Family 16 Model 9 Stepping 1
    Processor Cost: 2 x $280 NewEgg.com
    Motherboard Cost: 1 x ASUS KGPE-D16 $429 NewEgg.com

While I am sure the AMD 6128 will lose this crunch off in terms of daily RAC output
    , I am also certain that it will win the RAC per $$$ spent battle. Time will tell and should make for an interesting analysis that can help the whole team understand what options are available for new dual processor crunching systems today.
    Last edited by rgathright; 04-17-11 at 11:34 AM. Reason: updated broken amd link
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Silver Member

Re: 2011 Best CPU/Motherboard Combination Discussion Thread. AMD vs. Intel

Your AMD AQUA link isn't there
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Sweet! I love crunch offs like this.
    You know, with all this, we do have admit that servers are designed for more stability and redundancy, etc. If they weren't, they wouldn't exist and cost more than their counterparts. So while maybe not the best bang for the buck for the average dude, at times where a true server is needed, it would be nice to know this stuff.

Are they both crunching the optimized ROQS WUs? -GER- reported in that they had fixed the credit some on Ver. 20, but I calculated it was less than Ver. 16 still.
    My only point there, is we'll have to watch the WU versions. If they make a new one, i.e. Ver. 21, the credit will probably change.

Another way to do this may be to stick them both on Primaboinca. With a fixed credit of 200 per WU done, which ever rig crunches more Wus in a given time will get more points. As the credit ratio is fixed, we can have a pretty easy guage of processing power with this project now.

But yeah...looking forward to comparing the $ / result.

Silver Member

Ya, but for more power you always pay a disproportionate price. Too bad it's not 16 cores vs 16 cores and a price comparison.

Dan

JerWA

What a useless comparison.

Try a $300 i7 2600K like I said in the other thread.

Or a $279 E3-1245 Xeon.

Why would you arbitrarily compare these two completely different market point processors? Nobody is going to be comparison shopping them, ever.

Regardless of the results this doesn't prove which provides better value because you're intentionally biasing the results by choosing an exceedingly expensive, OUT OF DATE, processor for the Intel side.

Propaganda, much?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerWA View Post

Or a $279 E3-1245 Xeon.

Why would you arbitrarily compare these two completely different market point processors? Nobody is going to be comparison shopping them, ever.

Regardless of the results this doesn't prove which provides better value because you're intentionally biasing the results by choosing an exceedingly expensive, OUT OF DATE, processor for the Intel side.

Propaganda, much?
    Yep JerWa's right. You're comparing apples to oranges here and the results are completely useless and invalid. Why don't we compare a HD6990 to a 9800GT while we're at it...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerWA View Post

Or a $279 E3-1245 Xeon.

Propaganda, much?
    I think you both are lobbying off sides Soon enough the twins will be online.. We can work it out logically. I have a 780i and a 780a I pick them because they are middle of the road. the 780i also takes a xeon with no driver issues they hold 3 video cards something I find most important moving forward. I feel strongly that a xeon is an important factor in Aqua, 3 video cards are I believe is a spot anyone will be able to balance between heat and function.

I'm going to test a few cases as well. None will be over 100 bucks, I don't see the need to have one more then that. In a Saturday with a 12 pack I can build one for 100 bucks out of some angle and beer cans that would out perform most on the market, it defiantly wouldn't look as cool but its not like I keep my computers in the kitchen.

rga, Jer you both I know are recommending on what you think is best and not for any other reason, maybe maxwell can throw in his 2c i'm sure to most people what he says is probably worth a nickle, possibly zombie? some place we have to find a middle between cost/ efficiency / credits. We have a lot of people on this form that can't throw big money or even little money at a computer.

I personally an trying to figure it out in sub 100 dollar intervals (I know a whole nother aspect no one wants to talk about). If I can help someone on fixed income become a million credit cruncher dam right I'm going to try. Sadly right now at 100 a month your looking at 6 months before your even crunching .

I love this team, its a great diversity lets use it to push us forward! I love how much its grown since I have come back active. Thank you all for putting up with me!
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Yep JerWa's right. You're comparing apples to oranges here and the results are completely useless and invalid. Why don't we compare a HD6990 to a 9800GT while we're at it...
    Sorry I was writing for an hour yes its not even but I couldn't figure out what should be.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Sorry I was writing for an hour yes its not even but I couldn't figure out what should be.
    It should be 2 E3-1245's vs. 2 Opteron 6128s to be perfectly fair. You've got a $280 server processor from AMD with the fewest number of cores from their newest tech. With the E3-1245, you've also got a $280 server processor from Intel with the fewest number of cores from their newest tech. THAT is a fair comparison, not comparing AMDs newest tech to some outdated Intel tech that's in a different class to begin with.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 04-17-11 at 06:45 PM.

JerWA

I was going to write a scathing reply here but it's just not worth it. If you're interested in a "review" that makes no sense and is probably 100% funded by one side of the comparison, be my guest. I'm not wasting my time on this thread any more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast