Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SETI@Home: SETI@home hibernation

Diamond Member

SETI@Home: SETI@home hibernation

On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next.

More...

Platinum Member

Re: SETI@Home: SETI@home hibernation

Well....alright then...

Gold Member

doesn't give you much of a warning if you want to get something done over there.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Diamond Member

I have just over 25M at both seti and seti beta. No way I would try to push for 50M MMs.

WRT wuprop hours, I already have over 100k at seti. The only possible improvement would be to take seti beta from 55k to 100k. But there is no work available at seti beta.

So I guess that's it for me and S@H.

Bitter-sweet news. Their pre-BOINC project is what got me started with distributed computing all those years ago, and I thank them for that. OTOH, the project was not run well and it soured for me over time.

P.S. I *really* wish it was possible to change a team name...
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post

P.S. I *really* wish it was possible to change a team name...
    Since we can't change the team name, maybe we can change the meaning of SETI making it an acronym.

Like:

Science Expanding Terrestrial Intelligence

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Shurtz View Post
    Since we can't change the team name, maybe we can change the meaning of SETI making it an acronym.

Like:

Science Expanding Terrestrial Intelligence

Thread-Dumb.jpe

Diamond Member

I notice our team is still in 2nd place, and SETI.Germany is in 3rd.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

we are going to have a ton of members that probably are not going to know what to do after seti shuts down. might be a good time to help them move to a different project. we could inform them of the most stable projects, as a lot to them are set it and forget it users. if we don't try to help them they might just stop boinc all together.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    we are going to have a ton of members that probably are not going to know what to do after seti shuts down. might be a good time to help them move to a different project. we could inform them of the most stable projects, as a lot to them are set it and forget it users. if we don't try to help them they might just stop boinc all together.
    There is a way to email all team members via the founder account on most projects. Of course I can't check that right now because the project is shut down for Tuesday maintenance.

Platinum Member

Oh man. This is nuts to hear. Not sure if I should try to 5m or bail out. Was my first project as I assume for many others.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast