Thread: How to control system fan speeds?

Diamond Member

How to control system fan speeds?

My first NZXT cooler was the "NZXT Kraken X72 360mm". The three fans cooling the radiator plugged into the pump assembly. So the NZXT CAM software controls both the pump speed as well as the radiator fan speeds. The newer version that I just bought is the "NZXT Kraken X73 360mm", and they changed things. Now the three fans plug directly into the motherboard, and the CAM software controls only the pump speed. Very disappointing. The good news is that they are four-pin plugs on the fans, and on the mobo.

How does one control system fan speeds? I think there is some way to do this in the BIOS, but the settings are difficult to understand. And even then, I have no way to make adjustments without rebooting into the BIOS. And I don't know how to even monitor the speeds. I am hoping that there is a windows app that I can use to monitor and adjust the fan speeds. Most of the google search results point to a very old app called "speedfan". I tried that, but it does not see any of my fans.

Is there a more current app that can control system fans that folks here use?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: How to control system fan speeds?

I don't use one myself. My hardware isn't advanced enough to worry about it.

Argus Monitor looks promising.
    https://www.argusmonitor.com/en/index.php

It has lots of fan control and monitoring features as part of its overall package.
    It's about $20.00, but has a free fully functional 30 day trial to see if it does what you want it to.

Silver Member

Check your mobo's vendor website to see if they have any software for it? I know Asus has Suite something ... not sure about others. Just don't use anything beside just set your fan speed. I never trust those software, not even trust Ryzen Master.
    I ususally set it in the Bios, everything 100% since I don't easily get bother by the fan noises. But you can also set fan curve there too. Play around with it a bit and you'll get it Z

Administrator

I do the same as VietOZ. Set them for 100% in BIOS -or- setup a fan curve which is also in BIOS. If done from BIOS then it doesn't matter whether you are booted to Win or Lin.

Diamond Member

Thanks for all the tips. Now that it is starting to heat up in Reno, I need to take action. I think I am going to just set them all manually in BIOS like you both suggest.

Followup question: What about the CPU pump? Do you just treat it like a fan in BIOS and set it to 100%? I am a bit more concerned about burning it out. Fans are easily replaced, but if the pump goes, then I have to replace the whole AIO. Or is the pump bullet-proof?

Platinum Member

No I'd leave the pump on auto. They will wear out faster if forced to constant max speed. BIOS is definitely the best way to go setting fan speeds. Even if you switch OSs your settings are still applied.

Past Administrator

Hmmmm...

No love for Speedfan (Link)??

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Hmmmm...

No love for Speedfan (Link)??
    I was asking about how to manage fans under linux. I think speed fan is for only windows?