Thread: 7970 fan profile

Silver Member

7970 fan profile

Been slowly dusting off the boxes and I'm having some issues with my 7970. I noticed the fans wouldn't ramp up, they'd just jump to screaming. So when I hear this i check the temp 85c and I see a lower clock (500mhz). I see collatz is taking a bit longer than I'd expect. I try primegrid, same thing, no fans until 85c and then they kick on screaming (they actually spool up one after another) they push the temp down, then fans turn back off and then as the temp rises back to 85c this repeats.

So i DDU, and run the latest recommended amd driver. It seems the clock issue has gone away, or it was never a thing. The fan issue still remains. In the amd software i can set a fixed fan speed. This for some reason isn't always adhered to or has to be reapplied. Can anyone help me get a regular fan profile working?

Basically this guy's problem https://community.amd.com/message/2907090

Silver Member

Re: 7970 fan profile

Okay so the behavior seems to go like this. No matter what's using the gpu; boinc, render tests, a game... it waits until it hits 85c to actually spool up the fans. Watching GPUZ the fan % climbs but the RPMs don't. Fan RPMs report at ~96 rpms and are silent to me, once it hits 85c they jump to 3600 rpms and actually match the fan %. So then it cools itself off and the fans actually seem to slowly wind down as needed.

What's weird is it does this every time the gpu falls to a lower power state (WU finishes) and reenters the highest power state (new WU).

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

have you tried MSI afterburner?

Silver Member

I forgot about that one. So much better, temps and noise. Thanks.