Thread: 'Ello again

valyn42

'Ello again

Just want to say a thank you to youse fellers for putting some good info on these boards. When I decided to join, I was cruncing maybe 2500 RAC with a geforce 9500 GT and a core quad 6600, just running Seti. Watching and learning a little, put the GPU over to PG and CPU to prima, latest RAC was over 16k.

With a buddy of mine deciding to go with a GTX580, I wanted his old GPU.(He's not a cruncher, can't teach some people anything). Long story short, I gots a GTX 460 for a hunnert bucks and decided to swap it today. Swapped and back up in 10 minutes, but there was an awful sound coming from my box. Started softly, but kept getting louder and louder. So my blood pressure keeps going higher and higher thinking my buddy just sold me a POS card.... I'm pushing on it, flashilighting everywhere on this brick I just shoehorned into a mid-tower case, starting to grit teeth and swear...

I decide to softly lean my case over to see if the bottom fan was just riding low on the case of this new GPU.(Hadn't put the side back on yet) As I do, the sound gets worse and worse until the case fan stops which catches my eye. Had a loose PSU cable hitting the case fan on the back. Sheepishly I move said cable, apologize for my bad language and murderous thoughts(under my breath of course), and am now sitting happily(and silently) crunching away with a GTX460.

My Happy Sunday story!

Val

Gold Member

Re: 'Ello again

LOL! I had something like that happen with my CPU fan. Had put a new video card in and turned the computer on. A terrible noise started coming from the computer. Turns out one of my case fan wires had gotten into my CPU fan. I nearly pooped myself.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    LOL! I had something like that happen with my CPU fan. Had put a new video card in and turned the computer on. A terrible noise started coming from the computer. Turns out one of my case fan wires had gotten into my CPU fan. I nearly pooped myself.
    I'm just glad I don't have an over-active imagination because that is definitely an image I can do without.

Past Administrator

W00T! Are you crunching PrimeGrid with that GTX 460, I hope? Serious increase in RAC coming your way!
    I'm installing a GTX 460 in a rig right now, in fact...

Thanks for joining the team - oh, and if we can ever get to talk to your buddy...maybe we could convince him to crunch with us? !!!
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-18-11 at 12:06 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    W00T! Are you crunching PrimeGrid with that GTX 460, I hope? Serious increase in RAC coming your way!
    I'm installing a GTX 460 in a rig right now, in fact...

Thanks for joining the team - oh, and we can ever get to talk to you buddy...maybe we could convince him to crunch with us? !!!
    Either he can crunch with us or you can convince him to just install BOINC, then attach it to BAM and he can crunch for you. Then you do all the project switching and whatnot and he just has to leave the computer on.

You can just instruct him if he's going to be gaming or require a lot of video the new version of BOINC allows you to suspend CPU or GPU independently so you don't lose all crunching.

Gold Member

Any word??