Thread: Linux: BOINC doesn't see the GPU

Diamond Member

Linux: BOINC doesn't see the GPU

I have the latest version of Linux Mint running with an Nvidia GPU. BOINC saw the GPU and everything was crunching fine. Then there was a kernel update, and BOINC doesn't see the GPU any more. I have tried reinstalling the driver, with no luck. What's the secret?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Re: Linux: BOINC doesn't see the GPU

I have it solved for now. I went through multiple iterations of drivers installation/removal/installation. Same for BOINC. No luck. Then I got the idea that maybe the older version of BOINC on the repository was the problem. So I downloaded the latest from Berkeley and tried running that from my home directory. It required several additional libraries to be manually installed (even with the package version working already). Then I went back to the package version, which now said it was broken, because the newer version of BOINC required that I install an older version of a library. Craziness. Anyway, when I repaired the older package version of BOINC, which removed the older library and installed the newer version of the library, it works! The package version of BOINC now sees the GPUs again. What a cluster. Note to self, never touch linux once it is working. Screw updates, security patches, etc.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne