Thread: How do you guys do your long term storage?

Past Administrator

How do you guys do your long term storage?

While I'm on a roll with the new GPU here, I may as well go for it since one of my 2TB drives recently died that leaves all Kim's photos on the one remaining working 2TB drive... so how do you all do your long term storage of files these days? I always did two HDDs in mirrored RAID. Is that out of fashion now? I see a lot of NAS boxes and external stuff being sold...

I'm thinking either two 4TB or 8TB drives or something in RAID again. But it might be cool to get two external USB HDDs and attach them to a Raspberry Pi 4 and make a NAS or something. Is it better to have them external these days? Not sure why it seems the two big mirrored internal drives seems out of vogue now, but I'm definitely open to learning something new!

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Re: How do you guys do your long term storage?

Check Western Digital's My Book and My Cloud NAS systems. They are all in one. Connect via ethernet. Just remember that if you want to mirror the backup and want 4TB of usable space you'll need the 8TB model.

How much space you need also depends on your backup method. I do a full backup once a week with incremental the rest of the week. I keep 2 sets and they roll off.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    ... I do a full backup once a week with incremental the rest of the week. I keep 2 sets and they roll off.
    So you do a big internal drive and then backup to a single (non-raid) external drive? Any particular benefit to that way VS the two identical internal drives in mirrored raid configuration? The way you do it seems to be more common now for some reason because everyone is doing the NAS thing...

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

No, I have a 16TB total, 8TB usable (2x 8TB drives mirrored) in a WD My Cloud NAS and backup to that.

Past Administrator

That makes more sense, thanks. I'll look at the NAS and see if it's the way to go for me then.

Advisor - Stateside Division

Personally I just ended up paying the $100 per year for an online Carbonite backup then not worrying about it. At first it was painfully slow to get 5Tb uploaded as they limited the bandwidth but I think that's been removed.

Past Administrator

Oh, no kidding?! That's a great price. I will look into that before purchasing any new hard drives as well.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Oh, no kidding?! That's a great price. I will look into that before purchasing any new hard drives as well.
    Crashplan is a good online backup, as is backblaze.

But in reality I use seagate 8TB externals for about 140 bucks on amazon. Cheap enough to buy a couple and leave in a cool, dry closet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk