Thread: Anyone have a good AM3+ motherboard laying around? (FX8350)

Past Administrator

Anyone have a good AM3+ motherboard laying around? (FX8350)

So I cobbled this 4th rig together with an old microATX MSI 780G chipset AM3+ motherboard and an AMD FX8350 CPU. It sort of works. I figured out that when I make the CPU crunch on anything more than 50%, it eventually reboots itself and for some strange reason runs at way less "oomph". For example, a single SETI WU will take up to 13% of the CPU when it's running right and complete in a couple hours or so. When it does the reboot thing, it drops a task to about 4.3% of the CPU and can take 10+ hours per WU.
    I think this is because the old mobo can't send enough juice to the thirsty FX8350 CPU and is getting a type of brown-out or something. Any other ideas?

On that note, if anyone has a decent AM3+ motherboard sitting around collecting dust by any chance, I'd like to purchase it - don't want to throw a lot of money at an old rig like this since it's not even a patch on the new stuff, but if the price is right, might be worth it to get this thing running properly.
    I think the best chipset for these was the 970, right?
    EDIT: I think it needs a mobo with an 8 pin CPU power connector to run at full throttle, and this older mobo just has the 4 pin connector. That's probably the culprit.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Jed

Administrator

Re: Anyone have a good AM3+ motherboard laying around? (FX8350)

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I think it needs a mobo with an 8 pin CPU power connector to run at full throttle, and this older mobo just has the 4 pin connector. That's probably the culprit.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Jed
    Sorry no help here.

You did however enlighten me as to maybe why my Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P MB with an AMD FX8300 would randomly reboot after awhile when I would try to run Boinc projects on it full tilt.
    It also only has a 4 pin mobo CPU power connector.
    It would run just fine for games or every day computing, but not under max CPU load.