Thread: Point to Point Wireless

Administrator

Point to Point Wireless

Wondering if anyone can give me some input on this subject.

Here's my situation. My wife and I just built a new house on our property that her parents will be moving into soon. The house is about 300' from our house, wooded, but with line of site. We have 1gig fiber at our house and would like to extend our wireless to their house and avoid giving ATT any more money. They are not heavy internet users, but would be streaming TV through a Roku and they both have tablets. The entire house is hardwired with a switch in the basement. In my head I'd like to use a point to point system going into a switch and/or wireless bridge. Is this doable? Any recommendation on a point to point system would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Re: Point to Point Wireless

I'm not sure about wireless, but the max length for a cat6e cable before errors/speedloss is 300ft.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-maxi...to-be-exceeded

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by purplecfh View Post
    I'm not sure about wireless, but the max length for a cat6e cable before errors/speedloss is 300ft.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-maxi...to-be-exceeded

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Well, I looked into that first, but the actual measurements of where I'd like it to enter the house comes in at around 450 feet all the way to the switch. Putting a switch midpoint would require electricity. The fiber and a media switch is an option but since I won't trench through 300 feet of rocks and roots I'm afraid of damage to the fiber.

I directional transmit option that is strong enough to be picked up by a wireless bridge at the house, then sent to the switch would be the easiest, if doable.

Advisor - Stateside Division

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Well, I looked into that first, but the actual measurements of where I'd like it to enter the house comes in at around 450 feet all the way to the switch. Putting a switch midpoint would require electricity. The fiber and a media switch is an option but since I won't trench through 300 feet of rocks and roots I'm afraid of damage to the fiber.

I directional transmit option that is strong enough to be picked up by a wireless bridge at the house, then sent to the switch would be the easiest, if doable.
    You can certainly do P2P across miles. I've personally not done it though. Quick search shows a bunch of solutions out there. this one for instance. But i'm sure you could do it cheaper than that.

Administrator

Personally I would use 2 directional antennas ... one on each house. You don't want omni-directional - that would be a waste and sacrifices gain. Something like THIS would probably work.

You want the router/extender as close as possible to the antenna. Coax cable, no matter how good, has loss. The standard cable that cable providers/satellite TV use is RG-6 (IIRC). Look at this calculator HERE. Select RG6 and change the freq. to 2500 and look at the result on the right. The left side is showing it is putting 100W of RF power into one end of the cable and the right result shows how much power (signal) actually comes out the other end. The default is 100 feet but you can change the length to see what happens.

At 100' and 2500MHz, if you put in 100W then about 2W makes it out the cable. 98% of the signal is chewed up (attenuated) by the cable. At 5GHz you get .25W coming out. So the point is, keep the cable as short as possible between the transmitter/receiver and the antenna.

The gain spec of the antenna is probably marketing BS but can be used for comparison. 13dbi gain means it has 20 times more signal than a theoretical "isotropic" antenna that only exists in engineers heads. In reality, compared to a "real" dipole, which has a gain of 1 and is omni-directional, it would have about 10X more gain but it is in a single direction. A single direction is what you are after.

EDIT: slow speed WiFi (2.5GHz) is more than adequate to stream video. You don't need the new high speed (5GHz) WiFi.

IMHO of course

Diamond Member

What about an optical link to a router? Length is not a problem.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

All good ideas. I'm going to do a bit of testing as soon as the floor poly dries. A quick and dirty test this morning with my phone gets 2 mbps from my main router in my house to the new house's front door. When I switch to the extender I use in my shop I get a connect speed of 43 mbps. I'll take a laptop and router down tomorrow and see what I can do with that. I'm in hopes that I might be able to get away with one directional antenna on the new house only.