Thread: cheapest way to run 3 GPUs?

Diamond Member

cheapest way to run 3 GPUs?

I have GPUs sitting on a shelf: a 1660 Ti, and two 1030 GTs. I want to get them crunching as cheaply as possible.

At first, I thought of building a cheap PC with at least 3 PCIe slots, and the minimum everything else. Even the cheapest build is not so cheap...$500+

Suggestions?
    Last edited by zombie67; 06-20-20 at 01:49 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Re: cheapest way to run 3 GPUs?

Would you want to reclaim Wasp? I haven't been able to run for some time... PSU and case went to my latest dual-Xeon rig. I believe you can run 3 GPUs, although you might be limited on PCI lanes for projects like Einstein: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%...eme3/index.asp

Diamond Member

Heh. Keep it, or pass it on.

I was just wondering if there was some build configuration that I was overlooking. But I think even the cheapest build is not worth it.

Diamond Member

What about the mining motherboards with a boatload of x1 PCIe slots? Is that x1 really a bottleneck to GPU crunching?

Administrator

There was a guy on either HardOCP or TaaT in the Pentathlon 3 years ago that had a boatload of GPUs ... 30-50 or something like that. HE was shooting his mouth off big time but once the GPU project was announced he couldn't do squat. I think there are some projects that work and some that don't.

I suggest sending a PM to vietoz and asking him about it. He is a BIG player on BOINC and he has some mining type setups ... I've seen pictures.

Platinum Member

Something like PG or Collatz is ok-ish on X1. Einstein will crush you though