Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zen3?

Diamond Member

Zen3?

Aside from general improvements in speed and maybe power consumption, is there anything about zen3 that would significantly help crunching? Anything like AVX-512, or a huge increase in L3, or...?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: Zen3?

No AVX 512 but it blows the doors off of a 2990WX because all dies have direct memory access.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    No AVX 512 but it blows the doors off of a 2990WX because all dies have direct memory access.
    I guess I am asking about how does Zen3 compare to Zen2? Is Zen3 going to be such more than Zen2 (my my 3970X)? Does Zen2 have the same problem that your Zen1 (2990WX) has?

Diamond Member

Any idea on release dates and availability for Zen3 yet? Other than "2020", I mean?

Platinum Member

Not yet. Still no new confirmed info. Pretty sure there won't be a core increase this time though

Platinum Member

5950X to boost 4.9GHz. 105W TDP. 16c/32t. 64MB of L3 cache + 8MB of L2. 19% IPC improvement. Compatible with the same socket though support on 300 series boards will be sketchy. 400 and 500 series will be no problem.

Edit: BIOS updates to support Zen 3 for the 500 series motherboards should roll out on November 5th. 400 Series in January.

The new CPUs should also be available November 5th.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 10-08-20 at 07:20 PM.

Diamond Member

Interesting to me is the L3 cache structure. With Zen2, it was 16mb for each group of 4 cores. With Zen3, it is 32mb for each group of 8 cores. Same amount total. But now you can run a bigger size of task without having to go to RAM. So it should help running big PG tasks, and increasing the thread count from 4 to 8 without taking a speed hit.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Interesting to me is the L3 cache structure. With Zen2, it was 16mb for each group of 4 cores. With Zen3, it is 32mb for each group of 8 cores. Same amount total. But now you can run a bigger size of task without having to go to RAM. So it should help running big PG tasks, and increasing the thread count from 4 to 8 without taking a speed hit.
    Right. Pretty sure the majority of the IPC increase is due to the latency reduction from restructuring the cache this way.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Right. Pretty sure the majority of the IPC increase is due to the latency reduction from restructuring the cache this way.
    So would you say this is the one to jump in on? Good bang for the buck longevity on one of these for a long-ish range build cruncher? I might be able to get back in the game a bit eventually. C303a is sending me some Haswell boards, never know, if this looks good and I could build one of these up, my output might look so bad forever.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    So would you say this is the one to jump in on? Good bang for the buck longevity on one of these for a long-ish range build cruncher? I might be able to get back in the game a bit eventually. C303a is sending me some Haswell boards, never know, if this looks good and I could build one of these up, my output might look so bad forever.
    As a long-ish range cruncher, it'd be great. Hell, i still have a P4 with a GT 430 i fire up for the Pentathlon lol

It's also worth mentioning Intel is cutting AVX-512 from their Alder Lake gen launching next year, so there's that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast