Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zen3?

Diamond Member

Re: Zen3?

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    It's also worth mentioning Intel is cutting AVX-512 from their Alder Lake gen launching next year, so there's that
    Does this mean Intel is abandoning AVX-512? Or just for some of the future CPUs? And why?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Does this mean Intel is abandoning AVX-512? Or just for some of the future CPUs? And why?
    Don't know yet if it will only be that gen or if they're removing it from mainstream entirely but keeping it on Xeons.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Don't know yet if it will only be that gen or if they're removing it from mainstream entirely but keeping it on Xeons.
    From what I can read of AVX-512, it's a bit of a cluster. Issues with the frequency hit on the whole processor speed just for dipping into the AVX code, as well as the problem of it being included in some CPUs but not others of similar lines. I don't know much more than that, but seems like some (most?) developers aren't too happy about the situation.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    From what I can read of AVX-512, it's a bit of a cluster. Issues with the frequency hit on the whole processor speed just for dipping into the AVX code, as well as the problem of it being included in some CPUs but not others of similar lines. I don't know much more than that, but seems like some (most?) developers aren't too happy about the situation.
    Yeah hardly anyone adopted AVX-512 and Intel has mainly been using it to artificially score better in benchmarks and to appear to have a higher stable frequency until the hit from using AVX-512. And then there's the excessive heat. With Alder Lake though, it's going to be a clusterf*ck because some of the cores on those CPUs will be regular cores while others will be Atom cores. AFAIK there will be no HT and i wish good luck on an OS trying to schedule tasks properly because of the decreased capabilities of Atom. Will be many bugs to work out, i'm sure.

Gold Member

Prime hunting adopts AVX-512.

Platinum Member

4000 MHz RAM will be optimal this time it looks like

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12