Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New project: Minecraft@Home

Platinum Member

Re: New project: Minecraft@Home

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    So, I'll presume the seconds per WU on the 1070 is a typo? The PPD looks like maybe it's actually 3872 seconds? And how is the 1050TI at 7000 seconds avg doing better PPD than the 1080 TI at 3300 seconds? Unless the 1050TI is doing 2 WU's at a time?
    So, for curiosity, I set my Ubuntu 1050TI to 2 WU's at a time and went from averaging 6800 sec/WU to 7080 sec/WU. So it didn't help me to go parallel. Just FYI.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    So, I'll presume the seconds per WU on the 1070 is a typo? The PPD looks like maybe it's actually 3872 seconds? And how is the 1050TI at 7000 seconds avg doing better PPD than the 1080 TI at 3300 seconds? Unless the 1050TI is doing 2 WU's at a time?
    Whoops... yes I had bad numbers on the 1070 and 1080 Ti. Fixed. Also had a x2 in my calcs for the 1050 Ti carried over from another project.

Gold Member

I'm seeing work unit credits going from 3k to 6k (roughly the same compute time) and a handful around 70k and 96k

Diamond Member

Stats have exported again. Also, a new app.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

They finally have more work available. Get it quick if you want it.

Note: They have incredibly short settings that will force a task to self-error-out if it takes too long (based on the GPU stats). They do not take into account things like running multiple tasks per GPU to maximize utilization, or even allowing for a cache. So run only one task per GPU and with zero resource share. And this can also cause errors if you have multiple GPUs with very different performance/run times.

Diamond Member

I just looked into their announcement channel on their discord server (I have no idea what any of this means):

https://discordapp.com/channels/7207...12772680843365

cortex.pngYesterday at 12:58 AM
    @everyone
    https://i.imgur.com/zJiUijZ.jpg

After 8 months of searching, we’ve finally found the infamous pack.png seed! This is just a quick announcement to let you guys know we found it. Turns out it was in the last 5% of seeds we searched with MC@Home (BOINC), which means it’s a good thing we didn’t give up on it. We’re not revealing the seed quite yet - we are currently working as fast as possible to slap together a proper reveal. This will happen soon™️

Most of all, many thanks to everyone who helped out with the project! We seriously wouldn’t have been able to do it without you. Special shoutout to those who helped contribute compute power through MC@Home (BOINC)- you made what would have taken thousands of hours to complete on a single computer into something which ran in only a few days. If you’re interested, users niraami and zombie67 were lucky enough to be the ones whose computers processed the pack.png seed.

A short summary of how we did it has been written on the usual method document https://packpng.com/method/. We’ll be writing up a more complete description of how we accomplished this seemingly impossible task shortly, but we wanted to make this quick announcement so you guys heard the good news sooner.

Thanks again for all the time, effort and computing power you guys dedicated to this project! I hope you’ll join us for more seed-crunching projects in the future (check out the painting project which is currently underway, available in #select-channels-here)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I just looked into their announcement channel on their discord server (I have no idea what any of this means):

https://discordapp.com/channels/7207...12772680843365
    Well congrats Z. Sounds like it's finished and it's 50% your fault.

Platinum Member

Which implies I'll languish here, 19K short of a milestone, until somebody suggests another spot to search for.

Congrats zombie67!

Diamond Member

They are taking applications for moderator for their boinc message boards. So I think that means there will be more work in the future.

Also, I made the news.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-iconic-m...as-been-found/

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    It means that you were one of 2 people that got infected with the pack.png worm.
    6r39 7r199

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast