Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIMPS - Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

Gold Member

GIMPS - Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

Hi all,

As per title and amazed we are ranked 496th overall since 1995.

1) who’s the owner of the team there since the link to webpage takes us to setiusa.net, this must be sorted out.

2) there’s a variety of types of work on there from CPU less intensive work, shall I say, to GPU and CPU intensive.

3) since I have a small and slow computer I’m doing work for PRP-DC-CF, this means probably prime testing to known cofactors and this is where I’m helping the second wave reaching the first wave. Each unit is tested in 3 hours with one worker 4 threads. Imagine if you have a 8 core machine with HT disable you would run 2 workers 4 threads each. Client for a few months have been updated to a version like PrimeGrid where you can now certify a test by only one passage, but still a bunch of backlog to doublecheck until we reach the point of only one passage needed for this type of work. Anyway, where I’m working we still have 40,000 units to process. I’ll post a step by step guide on Windows and Linux to anyone who would like to join me. Important is that once the test is completed the client will need to upload a 11MB file to the server, the certification.

Gold Member

Re: GIMPS - Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

Download:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

How to install:

https://www.mersenne.org/gettingstarted/

Work types (the ones mentioned above are PRP-CF-D)

https://www.mersenne.org/worktypes/

When you are setting up the work type on the client it will ask then how many workers and threads, also please not to tick off the certification work.

Past Administrator

It could be a site that still has the old admin credentials from more than a decade ago. Way back then, I believe there were a few that we never did get switched over. Maybe enough time has gone by that the admins at GIMPS would allow us to edit that now.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    It could be a site that still has the old admin credentials from more than a decade ago. Way back then, I believe there were a few that we never did get switched over. Maybe enough time has gone by that the admins at GIMPS would allow us to edit that now.
    I can try to speak with admin to update the team url to this forum.

Gold Member

Web page changed. Also we can change the team's "admin/owner" if you can send me primenet user_id for the new owner.
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 12-15-20 at 05:02 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Web page changed. Also we can change the team's "admin/owner" if you can send me primenet user_id for the new owner.
    I have absolutely no idea what it would be or if the current Admin structure was in effect when it was set up. Carlos, can you have the team transferred to your user id then we could set up a team account and transfer ownership.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what it would be or if the current Admin structure was in effect when it was set up. Carlos, can you have the team transferred to your user id then we could set up a team account and transfer ownership.
    Team account is already setup, I don’t understand what’s the issue now. You can join and then I’ll request the ownership to be transferred to you for example. Or there was a prior team for SETI.USA? Please go here https://www.mersenne.org/report_top_teams/ and setup customise to pick up all teams since 1995-01-01 and let me know.

Gold Member

See PM, all done and fixed.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    See PM, all done and fixed.
    Thank you Carlos. The Team, SETI.USA, is now current and under our Admin control. If interested, jump on. Admin's information has been updated on our forum.
    Last edited by Al; 12-16-20 at 04:17 PM.

Gold Member

SETI.USA position 490th...slowly going up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast