Thread: Motherboards: Missing holes

Diamond Member

Motherboards: Missing holes

Over the years, I have had situations where the mounting hole for a motherboard does not sign up with the hole on the chassis. Sometimes the form factor is different, putting a CEB mobo into a chassis that only supports ATX, for example. I recently put a Chinese knock-off ATX mobo into an ATX chassis, but the mobo was missing a mounting hole in the middle. The chassis had the metal stand-off screw socket in place. So my choice is to

1) remove the stand-off, and also allow flex of the mobo. This gives me bad vibes when I have to insert DIMMs or GPUs, depending on the location of this issue.

or

2) leave the stand-off in place, and allow it to rub the various solder contacts on the back of the mobo

How do you all deal with this situation? Recommendations?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: Motherboards: Missing holes

I have 5 machines with server boards that somewhat match your problem. They are in HAF 932 cases and all of the standoffs can be uncrewed and removed so I don't have problems with "extras".

IIRC there are 3 places where I can't put a standoff. I bought some felt furniture pads at Home Depot or Lowes and those have an adhesive backing on them. They are about 3/4" diameter and the same thickness of a standoff. I just stick one of those on the case where there should be a standoff. They give support and keep the MB from flexing when you install memory etc.

Platinum Member

I've done something similar to Bryan except i used rubber grommets because i already had some laying around. Works great

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

I had some stiff foam rubber weather stripping with adhesive back that was the right thickness. Anything that is sturdy enough, non-conductive and will stay in place will work.

Diamond Member

I have plenty of those rubber feet. I'll Gove them a shot. Thanks guys!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne