Thread: BOINC w/ linux not seeing AMD GPU

Diamond Member

BOINC w/ linux not seeing AMD GPU

I I have a fresh install of linux mint 20, which is based on ubuntu 20.04, I think. I tried the AMD driver automatically installed, and BOINC doesn't see it. So then I tried adding the ppaibaf/graphics-drivers repository. BOINC still does not see the GPU. Next I tried installing the latest driver directly from AMD. Still nothing. I then tried adding the OpenCL dev packages. Failure.

What is the secret in getting the latest linux, with the latest AMD driver, and the latest version of BOINC to work for GPU crunching? What am I missing?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: BOINC w/ linux not seeing AMD GPU

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I I have a fresh install of linux mint 20, which is based on ubuntu 20.04, I think. I tried the AMD driver automatically installed, and BOINC doesn't see it. So then I tried adding the ppaibaf/graphics-drivers repository. BOINC still does not see the GPU. Next I tried installing the latest driver directly from AMD. Still nothing. I then tried adding the OpenCL dev packages. Failure.

What is the secret in getting the latest linux, with the latest AMD driver, and the latest version of BOINC to work for GPU crunching? What am I missing?
    I'd be curious to know also. I have never been able to get an AMD gpu to run under Linux. This is one reason I moved to all NV.

Diamond Member

MindCrime gave me this link, and it works! I am now crunching PG and MW, no problems. Also, there are a couple apps in that post that work like afterburner, but for linux.

https://hardforum.com/threads/instal...20-04.2006679/
    Last edited by zombie67; 03-05-21 at 09:44 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    MindCrime game me this link, and it works! I am now crunching PG and MW, no problems. Also, there are a couple apps in that post that work like afterburner, but for linux.

https://hardforum.com/threads/instal...20-04.2006679/
    That is a excellent walk through on how to get the amd gpus working...and we have confirmation that it works. I, alas, have upgraded all my machines to 20.1 and am using kernel 5.4.0-66. I might try reverting to kernel 5.4.0-26 and give it a try on a 20.1 machine anyway or I could just do a dual boot 20.04 install. I might give this a try after the TN-Grid challenge. Thanks Z and mindcrime.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    That is a excellent walk through on how to get the amd gpus working...and we have confirmation that it works. I, alas, have upgraded all my machines to 20.1 and am using kernel 5.4.0-66. I might try reverting to kernel 5.4.0-26 and give it a try on a 20.1 machine anyway or I could just do a dual boot 20.04 install. I might give this a try after the TN-Grid challenge. Thanks Z and mindcrime.
    well sh!t, i guess im going to have to actually try it now