Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer won't start after power outage

Past Administrator

Computer won't start after power outage

Crazy winds here the last two days. Guess my office lost power sometime last night, but it was restored before we got in this morning. Everything else seems to be fine except one rig won't turn on. I can see the LEDs light up on the motherboard when I plug it in, and if I pull the power until the LEDs die out, when I plug it back in, I can see the HSF fan and case fans spin up for a sec before stopping. However, when I push the power button, nothing happens.
    Any ideas for me to try?
    Thanks!

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: Computer won't start after power outage

Think I would try a different PSU

Past Administrator

Will give that a try after work. Maybe it's just fooling me into thinking it has power because of the motherboard LEDs coming on.

Platinum Member

Power outtages can kill PSUs when the power comes back on. There's usually a voltage spike when it happens. Was it plugged into a surge suppressor?

Silver Member

if the psu checks out reset board/cmos check battery.

Silver Member

yeh, happened to me in 2012.. Power surge came thru ethernet cable via the router/modem, imagine that! So learned after that experience to run everything thru
    a UPS.. Inclluding the ethernet. That surge took out 4 computers, TV's, Phones... And the powr company says "We dont do power surges, comes from somewhere
    else".... BullCrap!

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Crazy winds here the last two days. Guess my office lost power sometime last night, but it was restored before we got in this morning. Everything else seems to be fine except one rig won't turn on. I can see the LEDs light up on the motherboard when I plug it in, and if I pull the power until the LEDs die out, when I plug it back in, I can see the HSF fan and case fans spin up for a sec before stopping. However, when I push the power button, nothing happens.
    Any ideas for me to try?
    Thanks!
    Does it have a monitor on it or is it headless. If headless, put a monitor on it. It may have booted to the CMOS setup for some reason or could be prompting about a abnormal shutdown.

Past Administrator

Thanks for all the suggestions. Finally got a chance to look at it just now. Turns out the power surge took out the PSU. It was just making me think it still had power because of the initial fan spin up and LEDs lighting up, but I guess something got knocked out inside it where it couldn't actually produce enough power to boot.

Unfortunately, it was a 700W Titanium rated one, and I don't have a good one to throw in there (tested it with a cheap 600W bronze psu I had in the back office), so I'll be purchasing another one. I'll probably get two new ones, actually, since I have the guts for another rig if I could power it up.

Edit: it was plugged into a supposedly good brand surge protector, but it's not a ups. So maybe the regular surge protectors just aren't up to California's giant surges.
    Last edited by DrPop; 01-23-21 at 02:33 AM.

Past Administrator

Have two 650W gold PSUs on the way, so should be back crunching on them soon.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Have two 650W gold PSUs on the way, so should be back crunching on them soon.
    Was looking at a spare power supply myself because they degrade with age and use. I cant belive they have quadrupled in price since the last corsair bronze 850M I bought 2 years ago.... Damn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast