Thread: Upgraded to boinc 7.16.14 (change in cpu thread usage)

Gold Member

Upgraded to boinc 7.16.14 (change in cpu thread usage)

I upgraded from boinc 7.14.2 to 7.16.14 on one of my computers.

I have it set to run boinc on 6 of the 12 threads of my cpu. After the upgrade, it's using all 12 threads but at 50% each.

Is this a new feature of boinc or did the rest of my computer get better/worse in some way?
    6r39 7r199

Diamond Member

Re: Upgraded to boinc 7.16.14 (change in cpu thread usage)

I've never seen this before. The only thing I can think of is in the preferences pane, there are two similarly names options: % of the processors, and % of CPU time. It sounds like maybe you have the wrong one set to 50%? Make sure it is % of the processors. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to try rebooting, and see if the behavior goes back to normal.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

I may have changed something in my Linux kernel settings to spread things out. I don't know. I'll upgrade my other computer and see if it does the same thing.

I don't get confused over boinc settings, especially when I didn't touch them. Also, when I upgrade the kernel, I do a reboot. I'll probably do another one soon.

I was just wondering about if anyone else has come across this version and had the same results. It's not affecting the work or the validations. Still runs the same number of WU, just over more processor threads.

Weird.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Well, after upgrading on my other computer, it operates as normal. Each WU gets one core.

I must have modified the kernel or a program in some way to spread the threads out on the Ryzen computer. It's running ok so I guess I'm not too worried about it. I do intend to figure out what I changed that caused this, though.
    6r39 7r199