Thread: Ice storm + live usb

Silver Member

Ice storm + live usb

I've been running universe on an uninstalled linux live usb lately. 2nd time now in 36 hrs I've had to reinstall BOINC and add projects from brief power outages. Guess it's time for a real install.

Sent from my GM1925 using Tapatalk

Silver Member

Re: Ice storm + live usb

wish me luck, i can see and hear transformers popping all over. cranking my heat while i still have power.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    I've been running universe on an uninstalled linux live usb lately. 2nd time now in 36 hrs I've had to reinstall BOINC and add projects from brief power outages. Guess it's time for a real install.

I've heard that sound before. Get a generator and lots of gas ready for the next few days. Fortunately for us, we're on the edge of the ice in the SE and only getting rain. Stay warm.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I've heard that sound before. Get a generator and lots of gas ready for the next few days. Fortunately for us, we're on the edge of the ice in the SE and only getting rain. Stay warm.
    Generator is definitely on the mind now, and not for BOINC. Transformers all over the city started blowing up last night, I could see bright colorful flashes in the over cast sky. Looked pretty until it was my transformer. My sister works at the power company and she guesses its likely going to be days before I get power again. RIP aquarium. Some of those fish I've had for 10 years.

Gold Member

I'm stuck in Mississippi. Was here on work, and now I can't leave. Was thinking of heading to our Baton Rouge office / datacenter, but the roads are too dangerous. Another 1/4" of ice coming tonight they say. Stay safe, and hope the power stays on for you

Silver Member

Ours is all melting but I still don't have power. It's been about 42 hours since the transformer across the street blew up. Everyone a few blocks away has power but I'm in this little dark spot they forgot about. I got an automated phonecall saying power was restored..it's not. I assume it was zip code based.

Diamond Member

So crazy when weather is just "different". Similar weather Denver is just normal. No big deal. But in areas not accustomed and prepared, it's a serious problem. No electricity, heat, or water can kill even hardy folks.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    So crazy when weather is just "different". Similar weather Denver is just normal. No big deal. But in areas not accustomed and prepared, it's a serious problem. No electricity, heat, or water can kill even hardy folks.
    Yeah this is like a 30+ year event for me. Not since I was like 10yo did we have an ice storm like this.

My mom lives on the same area but a new subdivision with underground utilities. After a day a plow came through her street and for her it's all normal. My house is about 45f and my tropical aquarium is probably going to die.

Gold Member

We've had temps at night below zero and a fair amount of snow. I've lived in the same house for a very long time and we only lost power once....A car missed the curve on ice and snow and took out the pole at the end of our deiveway. Luckily WI is prepared for the ice and snow. I've spent time in TX and I've seen the ice storms there. They get ice we get snow. A lot different.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours