Thread: Nvidia intentionally crippling GPUs

Diamond Member

Nvidia intentionally crippling GPUs

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

"We’re limiting the hash rate of GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs so they’re less desirable to miners and launching NVIDIA CMP for professional mining."

1) I wonder if the FW will recognize BOINC tasks as "mining"?

2) The whole premise is crap. They say they are doing it to preserve supply for gamers, and will offer an equivalent card for mining. But the supply of GPU chips is still fixed. So they put that supply toward mining GPUs, and the gamers still don't have supply.

3) I wonder if they will push that crippling FW to other models, and potentially retroactively cripple the cards we already purchased?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Re: Nvidia intentionally crippling GPUs

I just saw this too. Made me wonder...is it only a software crippling, or are they skimping on hardware inside as well? And I agree this is nuts - what part of "mining" would be any different than compute work in a lab or BOINC, or etc? Hmm...

Diamond Member

The only difference is that the mining cards don't have any video-out connectors. So they could actually work for BOINC too, I think.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Maybe I need to sell my Nvidia stock while I am way up if this is what's going on.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I just saw this too. Made me wonder...is it only a software crippling, or are they skimping on hardware inside as well? And I agree this is nuts - what part of "mining" would be any different than compute work in a lab or BOINC, or etc? Hmm...
    Purely software crippling
    Screenshot_20210219-162514_Chrome.jpg

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

1) I wonder if the FW will recognize BOINC tasks as "mining"?
    I wonder that too. No specifics yet on how it's being done so it could end up hurting productivity/data processing as well.
    2) The whole premise is crap. They say they are doing it to preserve supply for gamers, and will offer an equivalent card for mining. But the supply of GPU chips is still fixed. So they put that supply toward mining GPUs, and the gamers still don't have supply.
    This. Nvidia's whole premise here is absolute garbage as usual and is only meant to fool complete idiots, which happens to be a large portion of the world's population, lucky for them.

3) I wonder if they will push that crippling FW to other models, and potentially retroactively cripple the cards we already purchased?
    They do plan to cripple other models as well, but it cannot be done retroactively since a small change has to be made to the hardware for the software to work. If you've already got something besides a 3060, you're fine.

3060's that currently exist are already affected, even when using an older driver. This shows it's more of a BIOS/firmware crippling

Platinum Member

So far it's looking like ETH mining is the only thing affected. Tom's Hardware showed how you can still profitably mine other currencies with a 3060, proving Nvidia accomplished absolutely nothing. BOINC should be safe, at least

Silver Member

ive seen conflicting reports that this has been cracked on eth. whats the real story? nvidia still jerking us around?

Past Administrator

Yeah, I just saw a thing about how they already cracked it. Crazy. Why did they even bother?