Thread: Mac M1 w/ BOINC

Diamond Member

Mac M1 w/ BOINC

FYI, the latest version of BOINC supports both intel and M1 Macs. Einstein just released a beta app for the M1 (FGRP5). I just started running it and it seems to be working. And wuprop seems to run on the M1 too. Stay tuned.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Re: Mac M1 w/ BOINC

The M1 took 3 hours and 53 minutes per task, running 8 at a time.

For comparison, I started 8 tasks on my iMac with a i7-4790K (4c/8t), and they are still running. It looks like those will take about 12 hours.

Diamond Member

FWIW:

PPS-DIV with 4 cores on a i7-4790K takes 108 minutes. This uses AVX2 in hardware, which makes a huge difference over older x86 CPUs without it.
    PPS-DIV with 4 cores on a M1 takes 95 minutes. This has no hardware acceleration like AVX2. All x86 stuff is emulated.
    Edit: ...and uses about 25w.

Past Administrator

That's crazy efficient. Good competition. Hopefully it will see Intel rise to the occasion, or maybe it will just show us that eventually x86 is just done. It's had a long run, and I've never been much of a Mac fan, but who can deny CPUs like the M1 and ARM are just hitting efficiency ranges that may be impossible for x86 to hang with? I'll bet bean counters at Intel are smacking themselves silly that they didn't scoop ARM up back when could have for very little.

Platinum Member

Gold Member

Santa claus brought me a new M1 Max over the holidays. Actually itching to try this thing out on BOINC. Everything I've thrown at it, I haven't even been able to get the fans spinning.

Past Administrator

That's awesome! My brother's a huge Apple fan, he's already talking about getting one. Would be interesting to see if it's competitive in a crunching competition or just for the light workload stuff.